Silver Inlays

Hi...i need some information on this topic. After reading numerous topics and articles on inlaying with mother of pearl and abalone...I came across an intruiging tutorial on this site about using silver amalgam for exotic inlaying work.

My problem is...assuming that this technique sounds alot easier to do than abalone inlays...I cant find any relevant information regarding the subject such as where to get an amalgamator, where to get the mercury capsules and so on. I know this technique is used for dentistry inlay work on cavities but does anyone know how to implement this on a guitar fretboard

I ask this because I am looking to create an inlay with a certain criteria consistent with that of metal music and abalone is to prissy for my taste

It really would be best if you asked them since back when I made my purchase it was 50 capsules per container which could do plenty of projects. I have not done any recently but I can tell you that when they say vibrate the capsules in the amalgamator for a specified amount of time such as 4 seconds then thats all it take's. Make sure you rattle the capsule first and listen to hear if the mercury bladder released into the powder to cause the desired mixture (hint it will rattle).

Another source would be to call your local dentist office to see if they know where it can be purchased. I say that knowing that many dentist's are now getting away from using silver so you may run into problems or score a lead to a supplier.

As far as tips go I would say just carve out the outline image of what you want to end up with and make sure the base of your carving is rough unlike a normal inlay where you would want smooth. The reason being, the silver needs something to hold onto and a smooth wooden surface might not work well. You will also want to underscore the edge's just like in the 3D tutorial.

Why not just get silver sheet stock in .05 or so thickness, and cut it with a jewelers saw like a regular inlay? It's easier, and more accurate as far as the image goes than routing a most likely non-perfect hole, and filling it with some type of mix. Silver is CHEAP, easy to cut, and easy to polish and keep clean. Just be careful when you are sanding it down because it heats up fast, and will rise as it does. It's easy to sand through so test it for warmth, then let it cool down before doing any more sanding.

Craig