magnets :S

Noodle

Hi everyone! since i was planning to build a guitar myself, this was the place to look around for usefull info and alot of beautifull artwork of people, some more professional then others, alot of knowledge is stored here so thats good.

anyway, i did a search and had a look around on other threads and leardned alot about pups and stuff but still some unanswered questions remain.

I want to expreriment with building my own pickups. So the first thing to get is, i guess, a magnet. well, where do i find a magnet suitable for a descent pickup :D what are the things to look out for. they come in various forces, right? how should i know wich one...

There are lots of guitarnuts who build them themself, and they sell them as well sometimes. Where do they get proper magnets from? :S i know you can give a certain piece of metal magnetics somehow.

cant i take a magnet from like the kitchen door or stuff like that ? :D

Pics will follow soon in the in progress and finished work area.

thx alot.

B)

cant i take a magnet from like the kitchen door or stuff like that ? :D

You could do that.........

.........But all you would have is a magnet :D

You can buy all the pickup supplies you require from www.ampge.com This includes the bobbins, magnets, wire, pole pieces etc etc. You'll also have to build a pickup winder. There is a great little book with all the plans in and bill of materials by a bloke called Jason Lollar (who is a regular at ampge). I originally looked at his design and thought that it would be good if I was making a winder to use all the time. As I'm only doing a few, I decided to pull the back wheels off a remote controlled car and attach one end of the axle to a counter and the other to a face plate to hold the bobbin. Next I built a frame to hold it all out of Mechano. i think I have the only Subaru Imprezza pick up winder in existance :D

There is also a thread in the Electronics tutorials about building a winder and pups.

I'm going to be winding 2HB's for my scratch project and rewinding 2 SC's and 1 HB for my modding project. I've also promissed my bro a HB and an SC for his bass. I should stop offering to do stuff when I get drunk :D

Peace B)

Kaj

• 2 weeks later...

Google Neodymium magnets, and get one of proper size. There was this company in The Netherlands that did this, and I guess it worked out good. I would like to see someone do that.

Google Neodymium magnets, and get one of proper size. There was this company in The Netherlands that did this, and I guess it worked out good. I would like to see someone do that.

NDyms of normal magnet size won't work well. Their field is too strong. I just got some small ones that are the width of normal alnico rod polepieces, but only 1/16" thick. I put them underneath the alnicos. Seems to up the output, which works well for my middle S.C. pup, which I lowered a LOT to get it out of the way. But I doubt I'd use this on a normally adjusted pup, and never with full magnet sizes. Talk about stratitis!

Holland seems to be a little behind on diy stuff ey :D but we have a LOT of guitarbuilders! so there must be a place to snatch some magnets.

shipping from the us to holland is about 14 bucks rofl. so i'll have a better look around overhere. i got some emg johnson passives for now.

thx for the Neodymium tip and all. I checked stewmac but i had a better site i cant remember but ill post it here as soon as i get to it.