fixed bridge location ?

Gonna start my first guitar project

premade carvin bolt neck

Explorer body

Strat style hardtail bridge, 5 mount hole, or maybe a hipshot.

25 1/2" scale

where is the scale length referenced on the bridge ?

How far out do I mount the bridge ?

On another guitar I have the fixed bridge edge closest to the pickup is 24 1/2" from the fretboard side of the nut.

On the bridge you measure from where the strings contact the saddles.

The placement of the bridge should be easy to figure out; just adjust the saddles on your hardtail bridge all the way forward, and measure your 25.5" from the inside of the nut to the saddles on the bridge, and you have your horizontal placement. Of course you have to make sure your vertical placement of the bridge is correct as well, so I would suggest drawing a full scale diagram, or downloading an explorer diagram from www.guitarbuild.com and making any adjustments you need to.

I've heard it said that if your bridge positioning is correct, you'l -never- have to move the saddles forward when intonating, therefore moving them all the way forward gives you the most adjustment range.

If, however, you think your bridge might have been placed a little tiny bit behind the scale length mark, you should leave a little bit of forward adjustment range in the saddles.

You'll -never- have to move the saddles forward when intonating...

Wow.....

That is pretty amazing.

I guess all guitars I have ever owned were built incorrectly, because I've had to adjust intonation in both directions.

But, hey, what can you expect from Custom built Hamers, right....?

:D

Yes, I did read the whole post, but you made it sem like having to move a saddle forward should just never happen, and if it does, it's because the builder "screwed" up.

You should just always have room for adjustment, no matter if the bridge in the absolute PERFECT position or not.

But I most certainly didn't mean to jump all over you....

My apologies.

:D

I did download all the explorer plans, will take them in to get processed soon

If I am understanding correctly, set all the saddles on the bridge, say 75% extended, to allow for some scale shortening for intonation correction maybe.

measure scale length off the saddles in that position.

I went to a music store today and they all were saying 50% extended saddles, but that seems a little short if another factor gets off a hair.

Oh and I am going to get that book yall have been talkin about.

thanks for the help all.