Got Wood?

MzI

so i went yesterday to buy sum wood at my local lumber yard/ hardwood seller.

the two guitars are gonna be a super strat sorta thing, and a custom bass i designed.

the strat will be mahogany winges and quarter sawn neck thru 3 piece laminate of mahogany,

bass will be flamed mahogany wings with flamed maple and semi quilted i think maybe flamed purple heart (not heavy figure versy slight actually maybe 1a) 5 piece laminate both quarter sawn

and the pictures

Flamed mahogany

Purple heart

Flamed Maple

all of it

more of the mahogany and purple heart

i got all the wood for like $140 total, i thought it was a pretty good deal,

i didnt pay any extra for the figured mahogany it was just on the pile with the rest of iit so i grabed it right away and it just happened to be the right width i needed, it was fairly cheap like $30 for the whole thing, the flamed maple was pretty cheap too tho the figuring isnt great i wanted it more for the quarter sawn figure which it was nice and tight ribbon appearance.

now i just hafta figure out finishes and what im gonna use for fret boards

MzI

It's just the opposite. The color is really dull right after you cut it. The sunlight is what makes it a nice deep purple. Does anyone know if it will continue getting darker under lacquer? I'm trying to decide whether I should let the wood darken a long time in the sun before lacquering it. I don't think nitro has any UV protection in it, so theoretically it should still grow darker under finish.

im pretty sure that the longer you leave it unfinished and exposed to the elements air and sunlight i think it is the more brown it turns, the color of the wood is actually that purple if you look at the last picture its in that picture which i took in my room with no sunlight its just as puple

The purple isn't going to fade when you bring it inside. It has the same kind of reaction as cherry to UV. There was a discussion about it awhile back, and I'm pretty empirical when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I know how it works. I planed 2 boards. Right off of the planer they were kind of a tan color with very weak purple. One board I put in my bedroom for two days, and the other went outside. There was a very noticable difference in the two boards (the one outside being much deeper purple).

EDIT: Here's the link I was talking about

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...&hl=purpleheart

Edited by StonesCreed