Body Style

ACSpike

I want a body style that is:  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been drawing a lot of guitar body templates lately. Mostly standard designs but a few of my own. I think I favor my own creative efforts. So I wanted to see where we all fit in between reactionary classic guitar body fanatic and mad scientist pressing the bounds of creativity.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats something thats been on my mind lately. Thus far, I have copied a well known guitar and have used elements of well known guitars in another project. Time to get totally original. I'm more interested in what would appeal to most potential guitar buyers. The difficult part is how the market has been jaded by the big companies. Of course, this can be fuel for a whole other issue in another thread. Its made it hard for "originality" to compete with the better known brands because the target market resides in the impressionable "beginner" guitarists. The only thing they know is that strats, LP's, SG's, Jems etc. are tried and true and that their guitar hero(s) play one. If they have the money they will buy one, more for the status symbol than anything else. And there are enough second rate, affordable copies of these guitars already floating around.

So for my own personal enjoyment (and insanity) I'll stick with something new.

Edited by Southpa

• 1 month later...

This is a subject that I have been debating over for quite some time. To this point I have not designed and built a guitar from scratch, I have only modified existing components and assembled kits. I am slowly moving to that stage in the evolution in my guitar making where I will attempt a from scratch build and I do not know where I want to begin, however I do know that it will have classic lines, be contoured and semi-hollow. When we take into consideration what is currently out there with regard to the strats, LP's, SG's, ect. these guitars have withstood the test of time because they too posess classic lines and all posess form and function.

I chose my own design with familiar elements. I think it is really hard to come up a truly original design that either isn't one of the classics or already been thought of. And, the classic Les Paul, Strat, Tele, are variations of a standard guitar shape, which seems to be hard to get away from in terms of playability, comfort, balance etc...

I think the only avenue for marketing is to concentrate on quality above all else, and a somewhat unique approach to the old tried and true designs. But even at that, it would hard to make a name for yourself without some kind of celebrity endorsement or something like that.

Of course I am brand new to this hobby, obsession, past-time, love affair, or whatever you to call what it is we all do, so what do I know ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I usually start by tracing a familiar body style to get a feel for the proportions. Then start making modifications to it. This can help aleviate balance issues. After all, those old body styles have been around and modified for years, no sence in reinventing the wheel. Trying to mimick some of the body lines into the headstock is another thing to pay attention to.