Fender Tele

sinner16

Well ... I'm not sure if this is the right section for this .....But here it goes.... I was cleaning up my Agave Blue Tele the other day, admiring its simplicity.. as well as it effective sound. I was holding the neck near the nut while putting her back in the case... when I heard a "snap". Nothing really loud... almost like a thin rubber band breaking from being stretched too far. Surprised at the sound... I began to investigate.... Basically the skunk stripe on the neck had come loose. When I say loose... I don't mean hanging off.... If I were to tap on the stripe near the nut... it sounds hollow... and the stripe will actually flex slightly.

Any ideas how this can be fixed rather easily and painless :D .... or should I just live with it..... as I don't want to have to refinish the neck ... not yet anyway !!!!!

Also on a side note ...... The bridge pickup has a 4th screw .... yeah it's wedged between the pickup and the plate the pickup / bridge are attached too.... I though to myself .. *** .... Fender's QC department is slacking...... then again... it's not a Custom Shop !!!!!!!

Can you see a gap between the stripe and the neck wood? Sounds like the truss rod may have popped the skunk stripe out. If the rod is exerting pressure on the stripe, it will only get worse from here (you may begin to notice changes in the action...fret buzzing & such).

I'd try some CA; apply liberally to the area where the stripe is separating, letting it wick into the cracks, wipe off the excess, then clamp the stripe down flush with the back of the neck and leave it for a few days before removing the clamp.

You will mess up the finish on the back of the neck this way; any solvents you use to clean up the excess CA would defeat the purpose of holding the skunk stripe in, and might attack the rest of the poly clearcoat as well. The best you could do would be to try and sand it smooth with some really fine sandpaper, maybe 2000. Or 0000 steel wool (lots of people do this to the entire back of the neck to improve the smooth feel).

You might want to try something other than CA. The thin stuff dries in seconds, so if you fumble at all with the clamps, you're basically screwed. It's probably nearly impossible to work fast enough anyway. I hate to eliminate a suggestion without offering another one, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Pics would probably help.