Makore Veneer

hi ive been looking on eBay for some quilted maple and i ran across some "makore drape" with a quilted pattern on it. my goal for this wood is to stain it black and sand it back to intensify the grain and then stain over it. will this work with makore? how about preperations? ive talked to the seller but they dont know. any help is apprectiated. :D

I can offer some advice here. I have a very nice set of quilted Bubinga veneer here. It does look quite similar than the Makore on ebay. It's a very similar tree as well I guess. Concerning the stain technique. The stain black sand back is no problem. But adding another color is not easy. The problem is that the wood itself is a dark brown and not half as white as maple. That lets most colors look quite dirty and ugly. I tried blue at the time and it looked like a brown mess with a shade of blue. I guess if you want to use this wood you'll have to use a color that's close to it's natural color like red or brown. The wood has simply too predominant color in order to drastically change it's color....

GM scores a bullseye. :D

If you want to do a stain black / sand back, I'd stick with Maple. Any other wood, although it 'may' work, will more than likely give you second or third class results, and the chance that you wasted your money on something that won't work for what you want it to do.

thanks guys for the advice, although i am planning to do a red with it so i think i'll give it a try. I just feel like even if it doesnt work I could use it with another guitar in the future and its not like im paying an arm and a leg for it, so i think ill give it a try thanks for the advice i'll definitely try it on scrap before putting it on the guitar first.