Home Made Ambient Air Cleaner

bassman

Last night I built a crude version of an ambient air cleaner. It is basically a wooden box in which a box fan pulls air through an electrostatic air filter (MERV 8). It seems to work pretty good- the cost of a box fan is less than $10 and the filter cost is $10-15 (and can be used up to five years, with very regular rinsing of course). I am not sure how it compare to a commercially available unit- although I know that I could build five of them in five hours and still have spent less than on a single small 450cf per min- delta unit available at Lowes. Of course I would like to obtain a much stinger fan than the box unit I am now using. Has anyone experiented with such a thing?

Peace,

Ryan

I would like to apologize here for consistently having many typos and grammatically incorrect posts. The cursor on my PC has a mind of its own and will shift both its vertical and horizontal positions while I am typing. This is obviously very frustrating and leads to sloppy posting habits.

Peace,

RYan

I bought this one, it's a portable version. I currently have my homemade dust collector hooked up to it: a small blower motor from an oven hood is hooked up to each tool, and the dust it sucks out is shot through this thing which filters the sawdust, and cleans the air in the room at the same time. :D

I already have a dust collector, Delta 1hp, 550 cfm. hooked up to my tools. I have seen the one you have- but am not sure if I would be satisfied with its performance- my shop is 26'x17' and the ceiling slopes from 10 ft high down the center to 8 foot along the longer walls. About 4000 cubic feet, I would like the air to be recirculated about every five minutes. I need to find a fan that moves about 1000 cfm, which of course will be reduced when hooked up to a good filter.

on a similar note (the topic of shop comforts) I have been installing rigid foam insulation in my shop- the r factor is only 3.9- but coupled with the dead air space I am creating between the reflective side of the foam and the metal sheating outside it will be about r-7. Hopefully this will be enough to keep it comfortable in the winters and summers (Richmond, Virginia). Do you folks think my 19,700 BTU kero heater will be enough to provide warmth in the winter? I am not too familar with heating, cooling, insulayion and such.

peace,

Ryan