Pickup Help

bowser

Well, I just picked up a new guitar off the 'bay, a RG550. Its pretty nice so far, but I pulled the bridge off and popped off the pickguard because I couldn't get the neck pickup to move when I tightened or loosed the height adjustment screw. I found that the hole in the tab is stripped, and the screw can just slide through it. I tried another screw from a different pickup, but it is the same deal - this lead me to the stripped conclusion. Is there anything I can do about it, besides trying to find a similar screw with bigger threads?

Thanks

I'm not sure you want to do this and I don't know if it would adversely affect height adjustment or pickup angle. How about drilling another hole right beside the stripped one, maybe a little further out?. Then tap threads to fit the screw. It might be just a little bit "off" but could still function as it should. The only other option is to drill bigger, tap and use larger screw. Then do the same on other side to make it match up.

Edited by Southpa

Southpa, Thanks for the suggestment. The problems are that it is a dimarzio, with the triangle shaped tabs - there isn;t really anywhere else to drill a hole. Also, I don't have any taps.

The good news is that my dad thought of getting a small nut to put on the other side of the pickup, that will hold it in place. He's going to look for one tomorrow and hopefully this problem will be solved in about 24 hours.

Another good thing is that, this was the first time that I have taken the bridge out. It was actually really really easy, and now I have a chance to give the guitar a nice cleaning and once-over.

well, I have that problem fixed. but now I have another question. What pickups are actually in my guitar?

They are Dimarzios, but I can't find a model number on the backs. All it says is, Dimarzio Pickups Made in the USA. There are both a row of slugs and a row of screw heads. The bridge and neck pickups both seem to be 2 conductor. Does it say the model number somwhere on them and I am overlooking it?

Anyone have an idea?

Edited by bowser

i don't have any older dimarzios or two conductor models in stock but the ones that i do have here say "dimarzio pickups, made in usa" and then at the bottom edge of the back plate there's a dp 103 on one and dp 213 on another which identifies the model. if that's not there man i don't have a clue how you'd find out.

are they single coil or humbuckers?

thanks for the advice guys. even though i already fixed the first issue, hopefully someone who finds the search function will read it oneday...

anyway, i pulled off the pickguard AGAIN to look at the pickups, to no avail. I took some pictures of the bottom, you can't see too much because they are a little messy, but I will try and upload the pics sometime.