Building On Budget

One question, supposing I had a lot of time on my hands and were willing to do crazy stuff like handsawing and handsanding AND wanted to build a guitar completely from scratch (I mean: do body and neck with fretjob etc.)... What would be the minimum tool requirements? And where could I get those things cheap? My personal problem is I don't know what those tools are called in German - I suppose for example that a router like most of you use is called Oberfräse, but am not sure.

I was thinking of getting:

two good (jig?)saws

a Dremel

a cheap router (or could I do like the pickup and tremolo routs with the dremel? I couldn't, right? Or is it just incomfortable?)

StewMac's basic fretting tools kit (although it seems a bit overpriced to me)

a cheap drill (for tuner holes and stuff)

perhaps some slotting file...

a rasp

What did I forget (a planer?)? And could I cut something from the list?

What do you guys consider the minimal tool requirements to build a guitar from scratch?

An oberfraese is indeed a router, but remember, google image search and amazon are your friends for pictures of tools. Should help. My advice with tools is and always remains: buy them as you need them, not all up front. A good/decent jigsaw is a very nice thing to have, and a decent sized router, to me, is absolutely essential. Much more so than a Dremel tool (which really, is only really necessary if you want to do inlay; it has little to no place doing ANYTHING at all heavy duty, and forget doing pickup or trem routes with it right now). Bosch's blue line is top notch, but pricey, but remember that saving too much on tools is a false economy; the crap stuff will die on you, and you will want a replacement eventually.

You don't need all of StewMac's fretting tool kit; find a hammer locally, get a fret crowning file, get the fret nipper if you want a bound fingerboard, otherwise never mind, a few fret slot cleaning chisels, and the rest you can do with 'local' materials (go to the hardware store and find a flat mill file, that sort of thing).

For hand tools, I like a japanese saw or two (scarfed headstocks, small one for fine cuts), but it's more 'crucial' for acoustics, IMO. A block plane and/or a #4 jack plane are great to have around, but have a learning curve. Flat blocks and sandpaper will do for a start, and are cheaper, investment wise. You'll want access to a drill press for tuning machine holes, and at least for drilling a 'guide' hole for your trem studs. You could make do with one of those Wolfcraft drill guide setups in a pinch.

Also, clamps. Don't forget clamps. You want lots of those.

Doublestick tape is your bestest template holding friend ever.

An oberfraese is indeed a router, but remember, google image search and amazon are your friends for pictures of tools. Should help. My advice with tools is and always remains: buy them as you need them, not all up front. A good/decent jigsaw is a very nice thing to have, and a decent sized router, to me, is absolutely essential. Much more so than a Dremel tool (which really, is only really necessary if you want to do inlay; it has little to no place doing ANYTHING at all heavy duty, and forget doing pickup or trem routes with it right now). Bosch's blue line is top notch, but pricey, but remember that saving too much on tools is a false economy; the crap stuff will die on you, and you will want a replacement eventually.

What are the specifications for a decent router? Like wattage, rotations/min, possible depth and so on? Anyone could tell me please?

What are the specifications for a decent router? Like wattage, rotations/min, possible depth and so on? Anyone could tell me please?

Oof...something is better than nothing, clearly. I'd reccomend getting a 1/4" (imperial) collet adaptor for whatever you get, so you can order bits from the US (often cheaper, and more choice available. I usually get high-quality Whiteside bits from routerbits.com).

As for power, I've got 4 routers right now. Started with a big 900 watt Bosch plunger router (Blue, not Green. Professional line) which I still use and like quite a bit. Sturdy machines, quality motor, etc. You only really need adjustable speed (like, below 27000 rpm, etc) if you're using large diameter bits, something you really only should be doing if you've got a 1/2" collet bit (and that's something you won't find on budget machines).

I've also got a small Bosch (green) POF 600 ACE, 600 watts, 6mm collet, single speed, which works well, and will do the job if need be. Both are plunge models (you'll only find plunge routers in European stores, I'll bet), and both will do in a pinch. Always, always take small, tiny bites, and multiple passes. Additional depth is always nice to have, and will depend on router size and bit size chosen. Remember you can always get a template bit (bearing on top) and a flush trim bit (bearing on the bottom) to help you route to full depth for things like trem cavities and body sides.

My latest two are Porter Cable units from the US, bought a transformer for them, because I like the sturdy design and the fixed bases (A 690 and a 310 production lam trim, mostly for acoustic guitar work).

My reccomendation: spend the most cash on your router; it's hands down one of the most useful tools for guitarmaking, used everywhere. Get a decent one, not an off-brand, no-name unit. Blue Bosch units are great if you can find them, even second hand, and the green line will do OK as well. Metabo and DeWalt also make quality routers, with slightly scary price tags to match. Trust me, though; you won't regret spending on a quality router, but you will regret skimping and getting a lousy, cheap machine. These things operate at high speeds, so you want solid construction, good bit holding, and quality motors. I've got a plain, simple Black and Decker drill, a cheap chinese drill press (was getting tired of futzing about for things like sanding drums and tuning machine holes), combined cost? Less than one good router. And I'm fine with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I`m a beginner in guitar building too, and I disagree with previous post. I do not say that having good reliable tool that`ll last for years, but if You are building guitars as a hoby and do not plan to build more than three or four guitars a year you can save a lot of money on cheeper tools, having a cheep router is better than nothing. I have German Einhell Bavaria Router, payed 42 Euros for it, it`s not German made obviosly but it`s 4 times cheeper than DeWalt for example. Yes it shall not last as Bosch but if You build less than five guitars a year and do not need it for something else, it shall last for Years. But if You buy cheep router, or any other router go buy bosch or some other high quality bits, do never save on saws, bits. . . generally on any tool that actualy cuts the wood, I have learned that on first tool I have bought after chipping 24 Years old wallnut and 5 days of sanding and repairing cracks.

Best rtegards

I`m a beginner in guitar building too, and I disagree with previous post. I do not say that having good reliable tool that`ll last for years, but if You are building guitars as a hoby and do not plan to build more than three or four guitars a year you can save a lot of money on cheeper tools, having a cheep router is better than nothing. I have German Einhell Bavaria Router, payed 42 Euros for it, it`s not German made obviosly but it`s 4 times cheeper than DeWalt for example. Yes it shall not last as Bosch but if You build less than five guitars a year and do not need it for something else, it shall last for Years. But if You buy cheep router, or any other router go buy bosch or some other high quality bits, do never save on saws, bits. . . generally on any tool that actualy cuts the wood, I have learned that on first tool I have bought after chipping 24 Years old wallnut and 5 days of sanding and repairing cracks.

Best rtegards

While I agree any router is better than no router, all I'm saying is that, it being probably the most important tool in your arsenal, and one that's going to get worked pretty heavily, if you're gonna spend, spend on that. You get better casings, better motors, and above all, better machining which translates into better centred shafts, more stable shafts, and aftermarket support if you do need it. Break two cheapies, and you could've bought a good one. Any slippage, damage to a guitar you've got many hours in, and you'll be cursing yourself.

I build, on average, less than 4 guitars per year, usually quite a few less. I've never regretting spending money on a good tool, and I've frequently regretting not doing it.

I do wholeheartedly agree, though, that good quality bits are essential.

I agree with Mattia, THE most important tool is the router. I bought all my tools for less than 50 bucks each (or 50Euros) and most of them are doing great, except my router. I only built 2 basses with it and it's completely screwed to the point of being almost dangerous. My next big expense is a good router.

I agree with Mattia, THE most important tool is the router. I bought all my tools for less than 50 bucks each (or 50Euros) and most of them are doing great, except my router. I only built 2 basses with it and it's completely screwed to the point of being almost dangerous. My next big expense is a good router.

Me too. I agree with phil (hey phil, how are you ? you're everywhere , aren't you). If there is only one tool you need to make a guitar it's a router. And as phil pointed out, if you plan to make more then one guitar, then you MUST not buy the cheapest router.

For the other tools, maybe you know some of your neighboors who own some of the required tools : such as clamps and everything. And I think you don't need a dremel unless you have particular things to do (such as inlays or bindings, but you can do without a dremel). And I think you can forget le fretting kit, you only need a saw (to slot) and a kinh of hammer.