Marble Finish...

When I was living in Portugal, I toured a 15th Century church that looked like it had marble everywhere... but they had been too poor to build it with marble, so everything was painted to look like marble.

And it was very convincing, even after several centuries of pigment degredation.

Thier technique involved painting swirl and grains patterns, then dabbing them with damp sea-sponges before the paint dried. After it dried, they did some sanding, then coated everything with varnish. (I wish I could give more details, but they used certain words that I didn't understand, so they had to simplify the explanation.)

Just at a glance, the same type of techniques could have been used on that guitar... but with better paints, better sand paper, and a killer clear coat. However, I could be wrong.

D~s

I re-did a table with a kit from my local craft store (michaels I think) and it was very convincing. I am sure you could get great results that way. It should hold up well if coated right. The table still looks great 5 years and three moves later.

George

The way a friend of mine paints marble finishes is to paint the base color first, then take saran wrap, wad it into a ball and apply the other color that way. I thought that was pretty neat, but I haven't got the nerve to try one on a guitar yet.. lol He's a professional automotive painter that's done it all his life, so I guess it's common to use saran wrap for this marble effect your wanting. If you look at that bass real close it looks like he used saran wrap also.

So Saran Wrap is my answer.. lol I just hope it's not some kind of painters secret I'm giving away here.. haha

That is a really great looking bass. My wife did a marble painting effect on the walls of our dining room with a similar technique as described by frenzy. Apply the base coat and then dab the second color on, except I think she used a sponge like Dugz said they did on the chapel.

I believe also that to get the best effect, you need to use two different shades of the same color, i.e. a dark grey, mottled with a light grey for example.

(as a side note, "Is it common for a bass to use that many bolts to secure the neck ? I don't believe I have ever seen a guitar with that much hardware holding the neck on !)

I've done a couple marble paint jobs in my life for my high school's theatre productions. The tecnique basically involved painting on a base coat of a few different colors, lightly, and blending the brush strokes and color patches together. Then we took a bunch of strips of fabric tied them together into a random net, dipped it into thin black paint, and threw it on top of the base coat, lightly, for a cool veining effect. It actually looked really good.

This technique could be done in conjunction with the others, if you want. It adds a bold veined look that can look really good when done well and sparingly.

Is it common for a bass to use that many bolts to secure the neck ? I don't believe I have ever seen a guitar with that much hardware holding the neck on !

Really...why not just do a neck-thru?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Because of the detailed veining in the Ritter, I think Saran may be the way to go with that one.

All I need now is a project to try it on...

The way a friend of mine paints marble finishes is to paint the base color first, then take saran wrap, wad it into a ball and apply the other color that way. I thought that was pretty neat, but I haven't got the nerve to try one on a guitar yet.. lol He's a professional automotive painter that's done it all his life, so I guess it's common to use saran wrap for this marble effect your wanting. If you look at that bass real close it looks like he used saran wrap also.

So Saran Wrap is my answer.. lol I just hope it's not some kind of painters secret I'm giving away here.. haha

The saran wrap trick is done with a product called Marbelizer from House of Kolor. If your friend is an automotive painter this is likely what he's using. With base coat urethanes just using the saran wrap won't do much except stick and make a mess.

There are lots of different ways to do a marble look, it depends on the type of marble you want to replicate as there are many different types.

Here are a few different types

http://www.angelicola.com/Faux%20Marbles.htm

and there are lots of ways to replicate it :D