Hi,

The scale lenght is measured from the top nut to the point where the string touches the bridge.

I checked in one of my books:

Martin Koch (Building Electric Guitars)

Quote: The scale lenght is the distance between the two points on which a string rests, i.e. the front edge of the nut and its saddle on the bridge

So, the distance between the nut and the 'touching' point of the bridge is

24 1/4" ,or 25.5"

The 'touching' point varies from bridge to bridge.

A Stratocaster style bridge has a different touching point than a Gibson style tune o matic.

hope this answers your question

Gerard

Just thought I would add this for extra information when talking about scale length.

24 1/4" is typical for Gibson guitars

25" is typical for Paul Reed Smith Guitars

25 1/2" is typical for Fender

26" to 28" is for Baritone Guitars...can be used for (E to e) or (B to b ) tunings

The scale length determines where the bridge goes. The scale is measured from the nut to the bridge. And the the 12 fret is always located at the scale length divided by 2 (ex. 25" scale 12th fret would be at 12 1/2" or 12.5"inches)

When trying to place the bridge I always adjust all of the string saddles to the 1/2 way position and then measure for scale length. This way you have room in both directions to adjust for strobe.

Hope this helps