Is A Banjo A Solid Body?

bill, i assume you're wanting to know the scale so that you know where to place the bridge. rather than worrying about exact scale placement just place the bridge an inch or so past the center of the head toward the tailpiece. tighten your strings to proper tuning then check your intonation at the number twelve fret just like you would on a guitar. if the strings are sharp slide the bridge toward the tailpiece. if they're flat toward the neck. you can actually cant the bridge a bit one way or the other to compensate for say the #1 string is a little out when the #5 is perfect.

i hope that helps..in fact i really hope that's why you asked. :D

The bridge is held by string tension and nothing else. Measure from the leading edge of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret. Double that length is where to position the bridge. Your bridge should be set right across and not slanted like electric guitars equipped w/ TOM bridge.

Edited by Southpa

Paint? on a banjo? Yeah, strip it down and see whats underneath! I used to own a few in the past. One had a beautiful patchwork mahogany pot. When I get good enough I'd like to do some fancy inlay work on a banjo pot one day. I know, its on the back of the instrument but... :D .

Bill-Murray-

I was recently given an old "Kay" banjo...which is just like the "Harmony" model. It's purple, right? (They're both made in Korea I do believe. And I just saw a brand new Harmony in a music store, looks just like mine top to bottom).

NEwayz, I had set the thing up for this person (my cousin) and later, after he gave it to me; I can keep it with the agreement of: I have to teach him "how to play it." Still working on that....and he's gonna buy a real nice one some time later.

In the meantime I'm having tons of fun with it!

Banjo Set-Up from PensonStringWerks

(thought this link might help you out)

Btw, have you replaced the head? I ask this as the old head would have a (showing) "place" where the bridge "sat"---you'd be able to see it, where-it-goes. I know a couple tricks for banjo setups if you'd want em. Lastly, I've considered doing some "upgrades" on this banjo but anything more than a new head and an inexpensive Tone Ring (StewMac has some)....prolly wouldn't be worth it...for me anywayz. A good playable Learner Banjer is all I need right now. (Been doing some zeppelin on it, btw) as well as some Olde Neil Young---same place I started out on guitar.

rick

><>

Edited by rick_here

Yeah, we replaced the head. I'm thinking about polishing the frets, anybody know a good compound?? Ours is black, and I don't think it's been repainted. Thanks for the link, should come in handy.

I mask-tape the fretboard between the frets (since I don't have fretboard-guards/ for polishing)...and just use #0000 steel wool.

I don't think I've ever heard of "fret polishing compounds" though they might be out there (?). I'd be very wary about using any kind of metal polish that could potentially get into the fretboard.

Steel wool's always worked just great for me.

Also a good fretboard cleaning job might help "polish" the frets. I've used both (Raw/not-boiled!) Linseed and regular ol' Lemon oils for this. Use an old 100% cotton t-shirt. Fyi, linseed oil may darken the fretboard (more than lemon oil will)....

Finally, I clean my---non-finished---fretboards about once a year with linseed oil. Right about "now" (before winter-time when humidity gets real low where I live). Linseed oil is a "moisturizer" or protecter against dryness/cracking...and does a good cleaning and "sealing" job. Some folks are opposed to using it on fretboards altogether, btw.

I have some fairly old guitars and have never had any problems with their fretbaords as far as (raw) linseed oil goes.

enuf from me then!

Edited by rick_here