Individual Pickup Control

mj_gant

I recently performed this modification to a strat:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/sw1.php

I have noticed that with all 3 on-off-on switches in the OFF position and volume UP there is a hum when I lift my hand from the grounded bridge. It goes away when I turn down the volume.

This makes no sense to me... :D

Please tell me if my explanation is not clear.

M

What happens when you try and play something? Do you get any output from the guitar? If not, then you have an open connection to your amplifier, kind of like when you plug your cord into the amp with no guitar on the other end of it. When you touch the tip of the cord, you get a hum. In this case, it would be when you touch the strings.

Paul- thanks for replying. I have no signal from the guitar with all 3 switches off and volume control up. So that's normal. As stated earlier, I hear a hum from the guitar with all switches off and volume up. It goes away when i turn the pot down.

Well, in my mind, that has a simple explanation. When you turn down the volume control, it grounds the positive terminal of the output jack. To the amplifier, this does not look like an open circuit on the input anymore, so it gets quiet. Turn the volume up, and it will try to amplify anything that it can, including EMI that is being radiated by whatever is around - transformers, flourescent lighting, etc. - otherwise known as "hum".