Raw Neck?

it won't hurt your neck to leave it unfinished. it may get a little grungy over time but i know several players that like the feel of an unfinished neck. i would be careful about putting too much lemon oil on an unfinished neck though. a good wipe down and polish every six months should be ok but too much more than that could saturate and weaken the wood.

Hmmm... wood that is completely unfinished will be very prone to ALL elements... especially moisture, which will increase the risk of warpage. Granted, you have a truss rod and strings, which will help to maintain forward/backward tensions, and a fretboard laminated on, which will help to protect against bedning and twisting... but I would recommend putting something on the neck to keep out the moisture.

Of course, sanding the finish off of the surface of the wood doesn't mean that you have removed all of the finish; there may still be some in the wood grain, which would still provide some protection.

Just my observation and opinions.

D~s

Of course, sanding the finish off of the surface of the wood doesn't mean that you have removed all of the finish; there may still be some in the wood grain, which would still provide some protection.

that's what i figured also when he said sanding it made it "dull" and a little lemon oil brought it back. doesn't sound like it's really down to bare wood.

thanks for the input, even though this is a really crappy guitar i still take care of it and keep it in its case when not in use. ive been also thinking of sanding the neck down to a "Jackson feel" becasuse i love those neck. so i guss im going to give it a go and try that. ill end up just leaving it raw and taking good care of it.

• 3 weeks later...

UncleJ is right. I know from the error part of trial-and -error that it is really difficult to sand below the factory neck sealer. I use my own water-based dye on necks and bodies and cannot get them to enter the wood of any factory-sealed necks. A regular oiling will keep your acidic hand sweat from causing any damage.