Fabric Top/back On Strat Body

Just a little preface on my current project:

I have my Strat body about 50% stripped of the paint now. Made a template for the pickguard that I will need to make (out of aluminum), have the electronics part figured out and where I will make a cavity in the body for a 9V battery. For the electronics, I will be installing this little FET Preamp, which I have installed in one of my guitars. I like this little circuit, so I'm going to have the option to use the preamp or bypass it. The other thing that I am going to build is Ansil's http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/madsci/sustainormod.JPG and have a switch to turn it on/off. I'll probably use a pair of push-pull pots to do the switching for those two circuits.

So, this morning in the shower I realized that I already have a very, very cool fabric that I can put on the front/back of the body. It has a very fine weave, so finishing should be pretty simple. So, now I am really excited about this project, but I am still not sure how you do a fabric top on a Strat body. It seems like it would be a lot more difficult because it doesn't have the same "sharp" lines as an Ibanez RG or JEM guitar. I'm pretty much counting on doing a sunburst on the edges, which also seems like it would be more difficult on a Strat body.

Any tips from those who have done this on a Strat body would sure be appreciated!

I'll get a webpage going for my project soon so I can keep everyone posted on my progress. This is going to be so cool!! :D

hey paul..both of my material projects are strats and i don't think they could be much more difficult than a straighter edged body.

as far a tips go, when you are applying the glue use your fingertip when you get to the edges and spread the glue just to where the roundover starts. apply you material and when it dries trim it where you've got about 1/4" overhang. then apply glue to the roundover with your finger and roll the material over the edge. when it's dry you can trim it with your x-acto knife so that the edge of the material is on the high side of the roundover.

i'm using a brush on lacquer sanding sealer and after i brush on a coat i add a little extra at the edge of the material so that it fills in the drop off. be gently when you're sanding the edges and the breakover line on the belly bevel on the back. it's easy to go through your sealer and rough up the fabric.

here's a couple of pics that i hope will help.

current project:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1075688

finished project:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1062390

good luck!

Wow, I like the parrot one. Very cool. I guess that I'm going to give it a try then.

I was thinking of doing front and back on mine. I can't quite see how I am going to make both edges meet, though. I think that is the main thing I am concerned about getting right. :D

if you're talking about making edge of the material on the front meet the edge of the material on the back you don't have to. leave the sides bare and shoot your sunburst when you're finished. if you look again at my current project you'll see what i mean. i haven't shot the sunburst yet so the original red on the body is what's showing.

if that's not what you meant 'splain it and maybe i can help.

unclej-

Thanks for the clarification. I think I know how to go about this now. BTW, what do you use to cover the material? I didn't see any specifics on brand names or types on that tutorial page, or at least I don't remember seeing anything...

chrisb0109-

No, not quite what I meant. I know it wouldn't be possible to match the patterns where the two pieces meet. :D

i use parks lacquer sanding sealer. but that's only because that's the brand my local hardware store carries. any hardware store with a paint department or, of course, a paint store will have some. get a relatively inexpensive brush and some lacquer thinner for clean ups. a quart of this stuff goes a long way.

just brush on a thick coat front, sides and back with that little extra that i was talking about on the edges of the material. let it dry for a few hours, sand it down and give it another coat. continue until you can't feel the texture of the material and have a nice smooth surface all around and then do your sunburst and top coats.

OK, here is where I am at so far.

I think the most difficult part is out of the way now. :D

It was a real PITA getting the old finish off!

I think I am going on to the electronics portion of this project now. I will tackle the fabric on top and back this next weekend.

I think the most difficult part is out of the way now. :D

It was a real PITA getting the old finish off!

Looks great!

But if the guitar is going to be completely covered in fabric and paint, why did you remove the old finish all the way to the wood?

All you would really need to do is "scuff" up the paint, and prime it.......

looking good paul..keep us posted.

i found some seriously cool fabric to put on the pick guard for the flame material guitar. i'll work on it this evening and post a pic of it tomorrow. takes it to a whole different level. :D

Thanks guys. :D

It's going well for my first project so far.

But if the guitar is going to be completely covered in fabric and paint, why did you remove the old finish all the way to the wood?

I had the same thought, but there was already about 1/16" thick existing finish. I didn't want to make a dead sounding body, so I decided to just strip it down to the wood, and I also feel that I would get better adhesion with the fabric glued to bare wood. B)