One Of These Days...

...I'm going to cut you into little pieces! Naw, just kidding. :D One of these days I will build a guitar out of body filler. There was a filler material we used in boat building called Awl-Fair. Its a 2 part (white and red) fairing compound that has very similar properties to wood when cured. Lighter than most woods, can be drilled, sanded, screwed into and painted just like wood. No grain filling to mess with and becomes extremely hard. Doesn't shrink because it cures by chemical reaction, LOTS of heat produced when curing. And I'll bet the acoustical properties would be better because its a homogenous mixture. It would be easy enough to make a 2 piece fibreglass mold from an old guitar body, wax up the inside real good and pack the stuff in.

http://www.cyber-marine.com/bridges/10039.html

Edited by Southpa

That sounds very interesting. I mean, Acryic and carbo0n fiber have been used, but i think what you suggest is different.

I think it sounds really interesting.

I rembeber an intereviewI read with Bob (cant rembember his last name) -the founder of modulous guitars- and he said that the reason alot guitar players dont like the sound of carbon fiber neck, etc, is because they have thir amps inadvertantly 'compensated' tone wise to 'compensate' for the characteristics of the timber. Correct EQ biasing makes the guitar sound wonderful

Good luck with it!

Luke

• 1 month later...