Which Headstock?

skibum5545

Which one looks better to you?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One:

stockShort.gif

Two:

stockLong.gif

It'll go with a body shaped like this.

Sorry for the poor picture quality; I did a little work on the computer, hand-drew the rest, scanned it back in, and edited it in MS Paint.

So, which one looks better? It'll be angled back (13 degrees), and it'll be pau ferro edges and curly maple center.

Any changes you would make? I'd like to hear any suggestions, and any insults as well.

I prefer #2, because the pattern isn't perfectly spaced. First, that matches the character of the guitar body. Second, it gives it a little more character.

Neither one knocks me out... but not every headstock has to be "over the top."

D~s

*bump*

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I'm kind of in a rut here. The two people who actually commented said they didn't like it, and I can't figure out how to improve it.

One think I could really use help with is fixing the neck end bass side curvature; it just seems awkward to me, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.

Thanks!

Your body has a pretty radical offset to it, and your headstock has the "humps" on the treble and bass sides lined up along a vertical axis, so the headstock feels really flat compared to the dynamic body shape. Here are a few quick sketches i came up with where i tried to mimic the same kind of dynamic axis the body has. I offer them here as suggestions:

bass_headstock_ideas.gif

I always find it better to design the whole guitar shape together as one unified piece, rather than trying to design the body and headstock separately.

Wow.... Thanks a lot Darren! I'd never really thought about it like that before, but I definitely see what you mean now that I look at it.

Anyway, I like A, but it's almost identical to the Cort bass headstock. I also like B, but it's almost Tele-esque. So, I combined them with my design, using the bottom curve of my bass body (thanks for the drawing of that; I never did it on computer, so this makes life a LOT easier!) as a template, and got this:

NEWHEAD.gif

I really like the non-circular "nose" concept too. It really adds a lot of motion to the design.

Yeah, I toyed with 2x2 designs, but they all seemed short and stubby to me. I opted for a 4-in-line because it seems to have a sense of direction to it. I can't really quantify it, but maybe it has something to do with the swept forward, extended top half of the body. On most other basses, I would agree wholeheartedly.

I dunno, that's still not working for me. The two humps make it look, for lack of a better word, "flaccid". And to my eye, the contours aren't pronounced enough. I think if you actually make a headstock with that design, it'll look like you tried to cut it straight, but the bandsaw wandered. But that's just my opinion.

The bass body has some shape! Don't be afraid to put some shape into the headstock!

I always kinda liked the Tele-bass headstock, its different. The other option is that you could go with a big 70's Strat-type headstock (scaled up to bass size), but then it looks a bit like the Stingray and I don't think it would go with your body shape.

Hopefully string length won't be an issue....?