How Tight Is Too Tight?

Ford

Hi All,

I couldnt find an answer doing a search, so here I go!

I am glueing neck laminates together (Maple/Walnut/Maple) with Titebond, how tight is too tight on the clamps?

I assume the good old "Snug then Tug" routiene works well enough, but I know there is a danger of squeezing all the glue out. My first glue up made a nice bead of glue squish out, I wiped that off and that was about it, not much more oozed out.

Eh?

:D

-Ford

Franklin recommends somewhere around 200 psi. There's not much of a chance in getting anywhere near that with C-clamps unless your neck blank is very narrow.

We use approximately 85 psi and get nice tight glue lines.

You can test smaller clamps with a bathroom scale to get a feel for torque vs pressure.

Edited by ddgman2001

Hi,

It has been my experience that when gluing there are two issues: 1) The tightness of the clamps; and 2) The consistency of pressure over the entire piece being glued.

When doing veneer work or gluing an acoustic bridge, many people use a vacuum clamp, which does not generate all that much pressure, but it does cover the entire gluing area. According to LMII, their bridge vacuum clamp generates 14lbs/sq inch at sea level.

My advice would be lots of clamps, alternating which of the neck they are on, and they need not be bone crushingly tight.

Guitar Ed

Hmm....

I only had regular 3 clamps and two spring clamps to work with, but I used bits of wood to distrubute the pressure as best as I could. I got the clamps pretty snug, but didnt torque them too hard. If I wanted to I probably could have gotten them tighter.

HMMMM....

Well, as insurance against destroying my nice wood, I'm gonna go out and buy a router table today. Once I get the glue line cleaned up and the exas wood routed back, I can see what the glue line looks like I guess....

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with clamps being TOO tight, only the opposite. Maybe I'm just too weak to tighten them enough to cause a problem, but I shall assume that is not the case.

But you want to know what DOES cause a problem? Wood that has very small pores and is sanded very smooth. I recommend making sure that your surfaces to be sanded are flat but fairly rough, so that might mean planing them dead-on and then sanding them by hand with some 80 or 100 grit paper. If this step is overlooked there is a really good chance you'll get some really visible glue lines that could have been avoided.