Please Help!

camsna

GuitarElectronics

Here

Check the site above out for wiring diagrams for various set ups.

The second link is a sticky thread with links to how to interpret the diagrams and various other electronics based info.

If you want more help you'll need to supply the brand name of the bass and/or the pickups. You haven't really given enough info for anyone to draw you up a wiring diagram specific to your bass.

thanks for the info. i went to that site before and they don't really have anything that applies. What he's got as an RJP (read...crappy local music store 1st timer) bass. It has what seems to be a humbucker with one volume pot and 2 tones. Or as far as he can remember that's how his controls worked out.

Edited by camsna

I'm not terribly familiar with Bass wiring but the principles should be roughly the same. Once you identify the wires coming from your pickup I.E. North Start, North Finish, South Start, South Finish you should be able to follow the wiring diagram from the previous website mentioned to complete the wiring.

If the wiring is anything like the humbucker I just tore apart and rewired, your north start will come from the upper left side of the upper coil relative to the humbucker being in position in the guitar. The North finish should be right side of upper coil. The South Start will be on the right side of the Lower Coil and the south finish will be on the left side of the lower coil. If you cant track down the manufacturer of the pickup to get their color coding information you may have to trace the wires back to the pickup to determine which is which based on their position.

If the Bass has one volume and one tone pot then the north finish and south start will need to be connected and taped off. The north start will run to your pots and the south finish will run to ground. From there you can wire the Pots using this diagram.

Diagram

If there is a Second Tone Pot you might connect it in the same fashion as the first one is connected. You'll want a second opinion on that but thats how I would do it anyway.

However before you do anything with the wiring look to make sure all grounds are connected to one another and then to your bridge. I can't emphasize this enough. I've had at least three friends come to me asking me why their wiring didn't work only to find they hadn't grounded everything properly and the signal was going to ground. This may well be the problem with his dad's wiring.

I hope that helps some

I'm not an expert by a longshot so you'll definitely want to get a second opinion from one of the other more knowledgable guys around here. Just thought I would try to help you out because I have been working on similar things the past week or so and its fairly fresh in my brain.