Philosophical Musings

Bounty Hunter

Of these TWO, which is more important to success?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been trying to play guitar for over 20 years. I say "try" because I can't play chords; I simply am not coordinated enough to make several fingers go in several different directions at the same time. Not even after 20+ years.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is my writing; I write poetry, lyrics, and short stories. I get a lot of compliments on my writing, inclusing some very nice compliments from hit-song writers. But where was I last night? At Blair School of Music (Vanderbilt University) taking another class on writing. You have to practice.

Incidently, the guest speaker last night was Mike Reid, who co-wrote "I Can't Make You Love Me"... which was a huge hit for Bonnie Raitt. Mike mentioned that he's still studying and learning.

You never quit practicing, even if you have natural talent.

D~s

i'm stuck in an odd position, where everyone assumes i have all this natural talent and whatnot...

actually, i just live in a family of musicians. my dad is a band director, my mom is a choir director. my grandparents were musicians. my sister is a professional euphonium player, my brother a professional trumpet player. so everyone's like, oh, music's in your blood.

i don't think so. to start playing bass professionally, i practiced four hours a day for a year and a half, then made sure i at least played everyday and as many styles as i could think of. i still don't consider myself a good guitar player, i play about an hour to two a day, i read as much as i can, and all that whatnot, but i don't think that i'm an inherently good musician or anything.

so i'm gonna go with hard work and practice, 'cause that makes way more sense than "he's just good at it because he is."

Talent can, and will, take you a fair distance. But few of us are born with that kind of talent. Chet Atkins wasn't, Clapton wasn't, Les Paul wasn't. But with practice and what not, look what they achieved.

Now if you have some talent, and practice like a mad man, you will make it. I seem to have some talent as a builder, and I am getting better. But as a player, not so much.

Guitar Ed