Polishing Problems

thirdstone

Hi has anyone seen this?

after polishing( Nitro clear)I notice that at a point starting where a hole is drilled there is a raised section.All I can think of is either A) some water has been absorbed by the wood and swollen the wood ,or :D water ,from the wet and dry,has got under the paint and lifted it.The paint on the raised section is firm and hard.For sure the only fix is to sand back and respray but I don`t want to repeat the error.Any Idears would be helpful.Thanks

Thanks for reading,It was left to cure for 7 days.I sanded of the high points to flat with 400 wet and dry with water and a bit of soap.Then sanded down through the grades 800,600,1000,1500,2000.I am starting to think that I had too much water on the body as it was basicly covered with water the whole time .This may have alllowed water to penertrate under the paint where there was a whole drilled eg the bridge.What do you think?

You're problably absolutely right about the lifting. Did you drill the hole after the finish was put on? Just a couple've more things. You're gonna want your nitro to dry a lot longer than 1 week. Let it dry until you can't smell the lacquer anymore if you hold it up to your nose and smell. That tells you the thinners have evaporated. Also, #400 is really coarse to start with on final sanding. I wouldn't start with anything rougher than #800 personally. I've never had a problem with finishes lifting, but I've heard that wet sanding with mineral spirits instead of water eliminates the lifting.

Water swelling is exactly what it is. Next time you can coat the holes with wax, or do a better job getting lacquer all inside there to seal it. Or you can wait to drill your electronics holes until after you're done buffing the body. You can also be sensitive around those areas because since they will be covered by the bridge, knobs, and switches, they don't have to be perfectly wetsanded.