Flying F Peghead Inlay

Fluke

I'm going to try to inlay this ( http://www.electricguitar.50megs.com/collection.htm ) into the head stock of my project bass (which is a copy of the one in the pic, but in natural finish). I think it is composed of 6 pieces of mother-of-pearl or white pearl inlay material. But cutting it the fairly complex way (from a begginer's point-of-view) it is and routing it seems like a difficult task. How do you cut it out perfectly. What should I know about this type of inlaying?

Thanks

-Fluke

Edited by Fluke

OK, now i see what you're attempting. Firstly you need a VERY good picture from which to trace from...no matter how good/bad you're cutting is it is ALL dependant on the quality of the pattern you take it from as the smallest deviation can look horendous when the inlay is finished. Make MANY copies as the overlapping parts need to all be cut seperatley to enable the edges of each peice to 'butt up'. The cavity shouldn't be too much of a problem with a Dremel and router base BUT if you've never done it before i would strongly suggest that you try it on a scrap peice of ebony FIRST, you'll be supprised what you can achieve and pearl plate is reasonably cheap to buy, something like that should use between 1/2 > 3/4 oz.

I'm just a lurker here really but there's bound to be lots of help in the tutorial section or you can drop me a line if you want to ask something specific.

Jem

Edited by Batfink

It's five to six pieces of varying shades of gold pearl, Not white, depending on if you make the upper right wing tip seperate or not from the curl. It seems attatched on the image shown.

That's a standard easy inlay for any experienced inlayer. For a total beginner it may not work so clean the first time. The cuts are tight, the shapes are relatively smooth curved, and all the pieces interconnect.

Make sure your drawings are very cleanly drawn, and make it larger than you need so you can shrink down the joint lines tight enough. Use the tutorials here, and ask questions.

Good luck :D

C. Lavin

I know thats gold pearl (or I had a strong feeling it was, anyway). But I think I'll use white, for a cleaner look. Although gold does have a cool vintage appeal.

I've traced it from a pic and tweeked with it a little and I think I'd be better to make the upper right wing section a different peice. Looks better I think.

Edited by Fluke

Gold pearl doesn't imply "vintage" it implies gold. Real gold pearl looks nothing like old faded nitro over white pearl, which has "yellowed". It's bright, and very colorful. It's also easy to inlay flash on-or off, giving it a lot more contrast between similar colored pieces.

Inlaying your name, especially in script is harder than just the image alone, however the more you cut, the better you get.

If this is your first ever inlay do yourself a big favor and do a few on some scrap first. You'll see your cuts get better with each inlay, and you WILL be unhappy with your first pieces.

There's nothing dangerouse about practicing first.

Craig

www.handcraftinlay.com