How To Make A Cabinet Setup

Cloud

Ok I want to get a Vamp pro and a pair of 12 speakers and mount them in a plywood enclosure i am going to build. The question is what kind of amps would I use to amplify the signal from the preamp of the Vamp into the 2x12's in stereo config. I am a newb to this so if it sounds wrong you will know why. I am trying to do this cheaply which is why I want to use the bamp head. Now I am even more curious to know if one could use an amiplifier from say a car audio system to boost the ouput from the preamp into the speakers. Also thinking of just using the X Vamp instead of the pro into a power amp and then into the cabinet. I figure the pedal would be easier to quickly change effects with and also cheaper then the vamp pro.

Edited by Cloud

Well I think i have a means to power an amp from a beefy pc supply I have left over from one of my builds. I still would need MDF and covering material. For the modeling amp I was thinking of the Vamp 2 because of the added pedal ability and more features of the X vamp plus the cost is in between the X vamp and Vamp pro. Any input is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I bought a V-amp 2 because I felt it would be more versatil overall. I would like some ideas as to what to use to amplify its signal for a set of speakers and what speakers do you recommend. I was thinking of using an older stereo unit that has a built in 390w amplifier built in (or similar) and then hooking it to suitable speakers.

Any fairly good stereo power amp (or monoblock, for that matter) is going to have much better frequency response than either the V-Amp or guitar speakers. A MOSvalve rackmount would be great, but they're getting really hard to find in good condition, or an old H&H MOSFET 100 watt (again, kinda thin on the ground), but anything that's not designed for car stereo work should be fine. Most low-to-medium priced car stereo gear is totally rubbish, and it's generally rated at about 20 times the actual clean rms power it puts out ( yeah, I know, it's instantaneous power - the techies call it ILS power (If Lightning Strikes! :D ).

It's still not going to be really cheap to do, though - good guitar speakers are expensive!

being the owner of a mosvalve, i can tell you this, find one now!!! ebay has them very cheap and they crush a lot of poweramps out there when your using them with a modeler, (tried my friends marshall poweramp with my podxt, and switched to the mosvalve because it gave a better overall sound)

Hmmm so what is a good price for these kinda amps. Also other then the Mosvalve any other recommendations? Like I said I have my moms old stereo from the 80's which came in seperate units with the head unit controlling the speakers and input( integrated 390w amp) so it has equalizers etc on it. I may test it out to see how it sounds anyhow. Also for the speakers it would be nice if they had a good range because besides just running my guitar though it I want to be able to run regular audio from my computer into it. I seen a few Yamaha PC1002 amps that seem to be going for very cheap and I was curious of there quality. They look like an older amp.

Edited by Cloud