Scale Length?

I wouldn't use fanned frets at all. To get them done by someone else would be too expensive, and to do it yourself would be just too damn hard. It's hard enough getting straight frets done properly :D Plus I'd probably only go 25" to maybe 26" which doesn't really make the exercise worth while.

With a 7-string only tuned down 1/2 step, I'd probably go with a shorter scale. Say maybe 24.75/26.5. Go with what you think is best, though. Since the strings are light, you could probably go longer without a problem. In fact I've changed my mind now :D. Since the strings are light and you're tuning down 1/2 step, it might be better to go longer. I'd say find some way to calculate string tension. I've always been curious about string tension and necks. Someone with expensive equipment needs to do a study on it.

Yeah, that was the real reason why I wanted to go with a logner scale with the low Bb. On my current guitar I have a 62 string on the Bb and it's to damn thick, but anything thinner is too sloppy. And besides, it would be nice to buy finished packages of string instead of custom order them :D

I tried a 27" guitar and the low Bb was _great_ with a 54