Q About Finishing A Maple Neck

What do they usually put on maple necks for a finish? It seems like there is some kind of sanding sealer or something on them... or is that like a lacquer or something?

Also, if the neck has frets installed already, how do you go about finishing the fretboard? I guess you would just have to mask off the frets?

Any help much appreciated! :D

hi paul. i've always used clear poly urethane for finishing necks. it dries fast and is hard enough to stand years of playing without wearing off..

nitro cellulose lacquer can be used too, but it's softer and needs more time to cure.

i'm sure there's many other alternatives too, but i'd definately go for poly if i were you :D

oh.. and mask the frets B) i usually spray the clear over the frets if i need to level them later.

Edited by samoht

OK, one last question:

Since I have a virgin maple neck with no finish, it looks rather white compared to my Fender with the standard Fender yellowish tint to it. I read the guitar finishing reranch 101 thing and how to get the Fender neck look, and how Fender finishes their necks. What I am wondering, though, is if that's the only way to get that effect. Couldn't I use a light stain to achieve the same effect, or at least approximate it? Anyone try this?

I am midway with a maple Viper project where I have used Pure Tung oil as my finish. The maple neck (stripped to bare wood) took the first coat well, showing significant grain and giving it an amber tone.

The body was given a first coat of Dark Pure Tung Oil. I got these from Realmilkpaint.com

After the drying process I will follow with Boston Polish. The result is a beautiful finsh that can be touched up any time with minimal work.

If you prefer the tung oil over the high gloss neck this is for you. I am very satisfied so far.

I would at least try it on a test neck or piece of stock. I should be able to post pics in a week or so. I have some before posts on the Ovationfanclub.com site.

It does take a good week to get the project completely dry - but it is a penetrating finish. Alone it turns to a matte finish due to it's reletive thinness. Once sealed try the boston polish or some other wax to add a gloss.

This is my first solidbody project and I don't have a spray setup so it was a natural choice. Tung oil (pure and not the Home depot type with added fillers) is a non-toxic, self catalizing polymer from a natural source. Other uses are turned food containers and such.

I am very happy with the look it achieved. If I knew what I was doing I might know better. Try some.