Free Sequencer! Tracktion 1.6.01

GregP

Hey all,

For readers of Guitarplayer and MusicPlayer, there is a free promo for an NFR (Not For Resale, but FULLY functional) copy of Tracktion, which is a legal license that you may use on 2 computers.

The starting point is the following link: Click Me . There are a few hoops to jump through-- first, making a Mackie Account, then downloading the demo, then registering the demo as a licensed version; however, all told it took me 10 minutes to install a copy for my dad, so it's worth the scant amount of time.

Obviously anyone can download by following that link, but I'd strongly urge anyone who downloads it to buy a copy of Guitar Player or one of the affiliate magazines to make it more legitimate. That's just a suggestion, though, so take it or leave it. :D

This is a deal not to be missed, for people who want to give Tracktion a try (don't forget to check out Rack Filters to understand one of the main areas in which it is a pretty awesome app), for people who have been using freeware and Magazine-ware, or for people who have been curious about it.

One hint: when it's time to download the demo (which must be downloaded-- the full version is just the demo, unlocked) make sure you take the full install, even if you don't want the demo songs, because it includes the Acuma FinalMix plug-in.

Some of you will still be using regular old sound-cards instead of specialized ones, in which case I encourage you to download and install ASIO4ALL which is a universal ASIO driver that works particularly well with "AC'97" (SoundBlaster, many on-board codecs) soundcards. Make sure you select the ASIO driver in Tracktion in the Settings page once you're up and going.

Enjoy!

Greg

Just to give this a quick bump and make sure it's clear to everyone--

This is a fully-featured sequencer; if you have a reasonable computer, it has more potential than a hardware 8-track or what have you. This full version is legal and free, which will give ANYONE here the power to start recording themselves in a more or less professional environment (definitions of 'professional' may vary, as no pro studios that I'm aware of actually use Tracktion).

My advice is to register now, before the deal goes away. :D

Greg

I'm not a big fan of Tracktion's GUI, but for FREE you simply cannot beat it. It's a solid platform with a lot of features. If you get some of the typical plug-ins that come with it, then it's a steal.

I have to say that it's an interesting marketing technique by Mackie... get people on their list, get the software on people's computers, and hope to sell them a Mackie Onyx (or other mixer/controller) that will work with Tracktion. Good move, Mackie.

D~s

The full version of Tracktion also includes Mackie's Final Mix plug-in, along with the other stuff by MDA (which is actually freeware available for any host at MDA's website, so nothing host-specific there).

Computer Muzys is another option; however I have a few problems with it--

1. Difficult interface, or at least I found

2. No audio from hard disk. That causes limitations when your audio has to be loaded into RAM. It's more of a MIDI sequencer.

3. It is no longer supported, as the company that makes it has gone under.

As Dugz says, Tracktion's not necessarily for everyone (I, for one, LOVE the GUI and think it's the best out there), but for free it can't be beat. Since this is a guitar forum, a few necessary (in my opinion) add-ons, which are also free to download:

Simulanalog Guitar Suite

TubeBaby amp sim

Kjaerhus Audio VST plug-ins. Click on the "Classic" series for the freebies, but I wanted to point out that the Gold Series are highly regarded, as well.

There are many many others I could list, but that'd get most people started.

Greg