Routing Direction?

You should route by pushing against the cutting edge of the router bit.

So, let's say that you are routing the outside of a guitar body (which is laying on it's back with the neck pocket pointing away from you) and the router bit is turning clockwise. Start at the neck pocket and move the router to your left, then pull it towards you as you trim that side of the guitar.

I know, some people will say "That's counter-clockwise, and the router is..."

Forget about clocks and stuff like that. Think about the bit, and how it's cutting.

routing.gif

You want to go the direction that will make the bit dig and cut.

With that said, there are times when I'll go "backwards"... because I can make it glide along while lightly smoothing an edge that I just routed... but I'm taking off less than 1/16" when I do that.

At least that's what I have learned about routers.

D~s

I was always under the impression that you NEVER, NEVER EVER pulled the router towards you.

As far as I'm aware, the router bit will always be in the correct orientation so that when you put your thumb on the operating button of the router and push it away from you, the cutting bit is turning in the correct direction. Could be wrong though.

I do know that if you pull a router towards you, you are serious danger off cutting of your danglies.

Edited by Hotrock

...put your thumb on the operating button of the router and push it away from you, the cutting bit is turning in the correct direction...

That would only be true if you were always cutting on the same side of the router bit. If you are cutting on the left side of the bit and pushing away, then it's the same as cutting on the right side of the bit and pulling towards you. Likewise, cutting on the right side of the bit while pushing is identical to cutting on the left side while pulling.

That's why I was emphatic about paying attention to which way the bit is turning.

As far as chipping, that also depends on the direction of the wood grain.

D~s

Good point B)

I've always routed using the same side of the bit and always push away from me. The only time I pull the router is when you need to around things like horns and there isn't enough surface to have the router sitting flat. I tend to move around my workpiece alot though as I use a workmate and have good access all the way around my workpiece.

Either way Breakem, I value Dugz opinion, he obviously knows what he's on about (he's even got pictures :D ) so I'd go with him, as I understand it he's waaaay more experienced with wood than I am.

JUST BE CAREFUL OF THE PLUMS :D

Kaj

so I'd go with him, as I understand it he's waaaay more experienced with wood than I am.

Thanks, Rock, but I'm still learning... and making mistakes.

Man, I'll bet I could heat a house all winter (in Alaska) with the wood working projects that I've screwed up over the past 20 years.

BTW: Here are some basic tips for beginners on how to use a router.

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink