bridge radius

Hello guys, I am very concerned about the bridge that I got for my first project. I got a Schaller fixed bridge, and learned that it has a 12" radius that the saddles make. Now, I have ordered a 16" radiused fingerboard, and was wondering if this discrepancy in their radii is something to be concerned about. Will it mess up my action?

Help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Ernie

Hi Erie, yes that will be critical to setting your action but you can overcome the problem by adding shim's under the hi and low end saddles of the trem to even it out to a 16" radius.

They are little thin sheets of steel or aluminum which can be placed under each saddle individually to raise it up.

Hi there Brian, thanks for the idea, but unfortunately the saddles in my bridge can only be moved back and forwards. Do you think that maybe I could deepen the grooves in the middle saddles so that the radius is evened out? If this could be done I would have to be very careful so the strings don't get stuck in the grooves since the bridge has fine tuners at the back.

Bummer :D . I hope I don't have to get a new bridge.

Thanks

Ernie

Is there any way you can do a height adjustment to the individual blocks?

The groove thing would work but I'm afraid you may end up chasing nasty burr's that keep breaking your strings or give you tuner problems down the road.

Of course you can always get a radious block and fix the problem by changing the fret board :D