Seymour Duncan Pole Pieces

GREGMW

Hi.

I have a set of seymour duncan humbuckers .Why does one half of each humbucker have screws as pole pieces and the other side are just plain plain poles on each PU.

I presume the screws are adjustable pole pieces but why on one coil only?

Any explanations?

Thanks

Greg

Hi.

I have a set of seymour duncan humbuckers .Why does one half of each humbucker have screws as pole pieces and the other side are just plain plain poles on each PU.

I presume the screws are adjustable pole pieces but why on one coil only?

Any explanations?

Thanks

Greg

Because that's sufficient to even out the strings; there's no NEED for both rows to be screws. Still, some pickups do. Personally, I'd like a pup with just slugs; they're more "magnetically conductive" than screws and I never adjust the screws anyway.

Personally, I'd like a pup with just slugs; they're more "magnetically conductive" than screws and I never adjust the screws anyway.

Here we go again.....

WHO TOLD YOU THAT???

Seymour Duncan:

350. Why are the Gibson slugs non adjustable?

It was the basic design given to the pickup when first designed by Seth Lover in the mid 50s. Originally the pickup was designed without adjustable pole pieces and a row of six pole pieces were added as a “selling point” to enhance sales since the P-90 had adjustable pole pieces.

Traditionally under a cover, the concealed studs are used to conduct the magnetic field to the strings. Gibson traditionally used one row of adjustment screws to give minimal balance to the strings. The stud side has a stronger magnetic field than the adjustable side. With adjustable pole pieces a small amount of magnetic field is directed out the bottom of the pickup.

From

Duncan's Q&A

Also:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/suppo...d_a_8.shtml#416Duncan Q&A #416

Plus, I experimented with a JB and that's what I found. To be honest, though, the JB was in bridge position and the slug side was toward the neck. That gives a slight advantage to that side. Plus, this effect is lessened (maybe removed?) if you cut the screws off at the bottom of the pickup; less energy is directed in t direction then.

Your reply is not consistant with your original statement.

You originally stated screws are less magnetically conductive, than slugs. Now your quoting that adjustable slugs are less conductive. There different types of adjustable slugs, both friction fit and screws. The screws are no less conductive, but they (all adjustable slugs) are less effective the further out they are adjusted. But, they move closer to the string, enhancing volume....