Grain Filler Question

sscovill

This may be a basic or even stupid question, but I need to make sure about something.

I'm building a Les Paul with a mahogany body. I'm going to do a fabric front and paint the back and sides.

I've read a lot on here about using a grain filler on wood before priming, etc...

My question is, are you guys refering to just plain 'ol wood filler (such as Elmer's) or is there something specifically called grain filler that I should be using?

Also, do you just fill any obviously "holes" or do you cover the entire thing just to be safe. All tips are appreciated.

I'm hoping to do this this weekend, so I'm hoping for some quick info.

Thanks,

Steve

Mahogany has thousands of open pores, and grain filling refers to filling in those pores so that the finish coats will go on smoothly and not be pitted because it was drawn into the pores. There are products specially made to fill pores that are applied all over the wood. Different products have different application techniques. Stewmac sells the stuff of course, and my local Woodcraft shop sells it. That is the only place I know I can get it locally, that is, I haven't found a similar product at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Maybe someone else here knows a local source where you can get something quickly.

Stewmac sells Colortone. Behlen is also a brand. You might try the websites for those companies and look for local retailers. You might also try some local cabinet shops or hardware suppliers in your area and maybe they can recommend a local retailer.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure some of this out myself. Over here (France) the local hardware category killer has a product called 'Bouche Pores' --which literally means 'fill in pores' ....so I'm guessing that's sealer...

Wish I can get confirmation. The sales staff in the store ALWAYS look at me like I'm from Mars....must be my accent.