Help With Removing Wood Sealant

Lizard_King

I would like to start off by saying this forum has been very helpful, and everyones tutorials are great. It's hard to find people willing to help others anymore. Great job guys, keep up the good work and I am very very impressed.

Now onto my question, I'm refinishing my washburn and I was wondering what the easiest way to remove the wood sealant is. I probably messed up by taking the paint off with paint stripper but it also removed part of the sealant as well. So now I need to get the rest of the sealant off, but I'm afraid if I use stripper it will mess the wood up maybe? Any suggestions would be great. I'm still new to all this and thought it would be a pretty kewl idea being as the old finish was cracked and looked like a jigsaw puzzle lol :D

I'm going to go over the wood with a dye, even if I don't put a quilt or flame top on it. This leads to my second question. I've read about doing black and then the color of your choice on quilt, but i was wondering if doing it on regular wood might bring out the grain a little better? Any suggestions on what to do would be great.

These questions have probably been answered already and I have probably just over looked them in the forums and tuts.

Thank you in advance everyone and keep up the good work. Love the guitars and basses I have seen on this site, they have inspired me alot. B)

Should be ok to clean it up even more so with the stripper then clean it off with naptha or some other quick desolving agent.

You just don't want to let the exposed wood to enough time to absorb the chemicals deeply once they are on, causing the wood itself to swell up.

Thank you Brain, finished now. I think the end result will be well worth the time it's taking me to do this and do it right. One more question though. Can the horns be cut or shaped differently? It's strat style body, rear rout. Kinda give it more of a squared look instead of the rounded body that it is now. Thanks in advance

Lizard_King :D