Les Paul Questions

jch4v

Hey,

I am still fairly new to all of this, but I know that you guys recommend doing a thorough search before asking questions... so I did, but I still am not understanding a few things.

OK,

Correct me if I am wrong. One of the major differences between a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Custom is that the custom has a carved top, right?

I understand that the 4 degee or so neck angle on a les paul is kind of hidden by carving the top part of the guitar at the same angle as the neck angle... That way you can use the angle on the top to rest the router on and then rout out the pocket...

What about on "standard" flat top models? IS there still an angle on the top, thus it is not really a flat top? If not, how do they hide the neck angle? In looking at pictures, it seems like there is no neck angle?

So, my question is how do you make a neck angled FLAT top Les Paul!

Thanks in advance!

John

The most affordable carved-top LP! Designed by Gibson especially for us.

The round warmth of a carved mahogany top on a mahogany back first debuted in the famous 1957 Custom Black Beauty. Now Musician's Friend brings this fabulous wood combo back with the added vintage edge of Alnico 5 BurstBucker Pro humbuckers. Designed especially for the new Les Paul Standards, these pickups provide pure tone lovers with stunning humbucking tone. A mahogany '59 rounded Les Paul neck with rosewood fretboard and trapezoid inlays is fast yet substantial.

Features:

* Carved mahogany top and mahogany back

* Mahogany neck, '59 rounded Les Paul

* Rosewood fingerboard

* Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar

* Chrome hardware

* Alnico 5 BurstBucker Pro pickups

* 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

* Hardshell case

Well, I only read 'carved top' 3 times! Standards, customs and studios are all carved. Specials and Juniors are flat fronted, and have the fretboard raised above the face of the guitar at a reduced angle compared to a carved LP.

Hi JCH,

As Setch said, all LPs with the exceptions of Specials and Juniors are flat. On your 'normal' Lesters, the neck angle is about 4 1/2 degrees. You are right in that the angle at which the upper bout slopes towards the neck matches the neck angle. This enables the fretboard to lie flat on the guitar's top and makes it easy (relatively!) to register the neck joint. When I made my LP the first thing I did was establish that upper bout slope on my tablesaw...everything follows from that.

I have a step by step (more or less) on my website.

Good luck...

Chandler