Tune-o-matic

Hey doods,

So for some reason, strings have been breaking at the the tune-o-matic on my guitar lately (granted we have been playing much heavier stuff). My friends have suggested graphite saddles to relieve back-tension, or possibly even a roller bridge. Any thoughts?

-Vadim

btw, Lovecraft, the patch for rotary on my v-amp was dead on for that incubus song. thanks.

Any strings in particular? You can narrow it down to which saddle is causing the problem. I little fine filing in the notch can take sharp edges down that might be cutting the strings. If you've owned the guitar for a while and this just started happening then think about any changes you might have made that could be causing string breakage. Anything like string brand/gauge changes, method of playing, bridge adjustments. Whether you just got this guitar or owned it for a while I would inspect the saddles for sharp points where the strings are supposed to lie. If the saddles are really worn then I would opt for the roller bridge. I got 2 on my guitars and they are just fine! :D

Edited by Southpa

I used to break a few strings on my LP until I read an article from Zakk Wylde explaining the same problem, he suggested to wrap the strings over the stop piece like the LP JR, after doing this I haven't had any more string broke on me, at least not at the TOM.

Like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01198.jpg

THanks for the responses. I have had the guitar since it was new (three years) I haven't played the brand of strings i have on it now (Blue Steel 12s) but used to use them exclusively so I don't think that is the problem. We have been playing heavier stuff lately, but I would assume that the is not the problem. I will try the wrap around thing next time I get a chance to restring. So i guess you guys don't see the use in having roller or graphite saddles?

-Vadim

I will try the wrap around thing next time I get a chance to restring. So i guess you guys don't see the use in having roller or graphite saddles?

-

I've got the same problem with my Samick Royale...I've tried filing and buffing the slots, but the B and G strings still break more than they should. I'm going to try to the wraparound idea, it's worth a try.

I have the Graph Tech saddles on a couple of my guitars and I like them a lot. On one guitar I have the saddles, the trem nut and a set of locking tuners --that thing stays in tune and I haven't broken a string in a year...

But you have to keep in mind that the String Savers have a pretty big impact on the guitar's tone --they claim it "brings out the midrange" ....another way of putting it is it suppresses some of the high end!

On my Melody Makers, that works out fine, they're very (too) bright. But I don't want that on my Samick ...or on my Bocasters (which WILL have the trem nut and Graph Tech string trees)

Oh yeah, I have a roller bridge here too...but I've since read complaints that the rollers slip around too much and add more tuning issues than they're worth...

Edited by idch

Maiden, thats what i assumed the purpose of wrapping the strings over was once you said it. And as far as the graphite saddles go, the last thing i want to do is change my tone, but i should have figured it would if i change the material that tranfers sting vibration to the body. hmmmmm. looks like I am gonna try the wrap around thing. Or possibly a one-piece like the piano lookin' bridges on stewmac.

Or possibly a one-piece like the piano lookin' bridges on stewmac.

Those are fine lookin bridges but....Their for the wider bridge posts like on the LP JR.

Similar to the Badass tails for Just 2 posts in the guitar. But you probably already knew that.

Edited by PerryL