Tru Oil

GREGMW

Hey all,

I finished my first guitar last week .I used about 10 coats of Tung oil on it and it looked -just OK, but not what I was happy with.

After reading posts here and other sites I ended up putting about 4 coats of Tru Oil over the Tung oil,which I managed to get local in Australia..

I buffed it between coats with a lambswool pad and this has come up great.

I dont know what is in this Tru Oil but for a simple,cheap good looking finish I would really recommend it.

Regards

Greg

From what I remember, it's polymerized linseed oil. I have a guitar and two necks finished with that stuff. I like it a lot.

One thing I haven't been able to find is how you are supposed to buff it. Can you use swirl remover on it? Can you use the same buffing techniques and materials as nitro? I was afraid to try on my guitar so I just went with micromesh.

redone013.jpg

redone012.jpg

One thing I haven't been able to find is how you are supposed to buff it....I was afraid to try on my guitar so I just went with micromesh.

Dave, what grit-size did you use on the micromesh? The finish looks good from that far away; how glossy is it up close?

I am thinking of going with Tru Oil on my bass proj.

Yes, you can finish off Tru-Oil -exactly- like you do Nitro, because it is a film building finish product, just like Nitro is.

The 'rub' (hehehe) comes with the fact that to do it like Nitro, it has to be built up as thick as nitro for your levelling and buffout phase, and most people wind up sanding back to bare wood while trying to level because it wasn't as thick as they 'thought' it was.

That's the most common complaint I read about.

But if it is built up right, it can be levelled and buffed out just like Nitro.

Give it a good, loooong time to completely dry and cure tho. :D