Staining

ok so im going to build a guitar with mahogany back/sides and figured maple top. I want to do a a green burst on the maple and a real dark green stain on the back. What I was thinking is I could just buy this for the stain and than just put it on alot of coats on the back to get the desired darkness. On the top I would stain it until I like the color than spray the black around the sides to make the burst with this. Than shoot the whole thing (minus the neck) with this clear.

Edited by Godin SD

Godin. I can't believe I remembered you name without writnig it down. Anyway, you said you we going for a burst but you only mentioned the color green for the sides or back, I don't remember. First off, that product you had the link to is a dye, not a stain. I live on dyes and adding more layers does nothing to darken it. I think you need a green stain so you can adjust the darkness with successive coats, to a point. Next, I really don't know that satin and non-satin feels any different on necks. Maybe it does but once it is rubbed out, I think its about the same. Might have misunderstood you, too. Finally, I can't believe you are going to go for a green burst on the top! Sounds like an incredible idea to me but I don't see as many guitars as I shuld. Maybe its more common than I think. The dark color you got shown for the nitro topcoat would be the best or maybe only way to get your burst to look right on that green but I am scared of nitro. Things happen way fast when it has too much color in it. Have you burst with it before?

ok I need to specify EXATLY what I'm going for and let you tell me what products I need. Ok I want the top to look like this tom anderson guitar. As you can see its mostly green. I want the back and sides a very dark green(almost black) forget about the neck as I have decided to go with cocobolo and will just fill the grain and shoot with clear. So what products do I need to acomplish this kind of finish?