Cutting Your Own Pickguard

funkle

Can anyone recommend a clean way to cut the slot for a blade style PU selector switch?

The last time I did it, I used a dremel with a 3/32" router bit. It was very hard to get a clean rout, because the narrow bit tended to flex and wander around (this was in a wood top) and I had to do many shallow passes. Can any of you pros tell me how to get pro results here?

Thanks!

What about using a dremel with one of those side cutting bits. Kinda like a roto zip saw. The bit is like a drill bit, but with a more widely spaced turn to the cutting edge. I used one to cut out my dry wall around door framing and such when I finished my upstairs in.

You could use the depth guage attachment on the dremel, which is like a small router base, and setup some straight edge guides for the base to follow to give you a clean route. :D

Thanks Fender, but I wasn't planning on making my pickguard out of drywall :D BTW, you can get a drywall bit for you r dremel that works great - it is a straight cutting bit with a smooth bearing on the bottom, so you can cut drywall while using a stud or outlet box as a guide.

For the guitar, I did use a router base and a straight edge the first time, I think the wandering resulted from the bit flexing and pulling to one side when it bit into the wood. Actually it turned out pretty clean, it just took a lot of cleanup with sandpaper. There has to be a more straight forward way to go about it.

I do ALL of my slide selector switches with the dremel tool.

BUT...the way I do it is with the router baseplate, then I double-tape a straight-edge down to the wood, and let the router baseplate follow the straightedge, works perfect.

Check it out here. See the straightedge? It's taped down to the wood, and I run the edge of the baseplate along this straightedge for the perfect cut.

KOA%205-WAY-1.jpg

KOA%205-WAY-2.jpg

hey Drak, I like your ides, I've seen guys using a chisel or exacto but your is much easier and cleaner, how would you do the inside part if it was on a carved top? I can always set a jig for the top, but I don't know how it will affect the switch when placed on a carve. Thats why I used a Gibson style on my last guitar, couldn't figure out how (or didn't had the balls to do it and go thru the top with the router.

Sorry for the thread jacking here, but it as kinda related to the thread!