Sustainer Question

Daniel Sorbera

I dont really see how you incorporate this Into your guitar. So the 2 blue things are the pickups and the switch is the pickup selector. and the output is going into the peizo? Do you just run another wire from your switch to the chip and leave all your stock wireing the way it is?

Ok recap, You put yogether the peizo speaker and the chip the way the schematic says, than run the ground side of the peizo into the the pickups ground and the other end into the output of the chip. Than you run one "hot" wire from the output of your switch to the chip, and you dont move the output thts already going out from your switch and into your amp?

SO all you do is put 1 wire to ground(peizo) and run 1 new hot wire from switch to the switch.

O and what value of capaciter? and I quote "Basically we are taking a small little peizo and single supply chip and a single capacitor and making a feedback sustainer pickup"

What value of cap? BTW the cap is the symbol in the lower right corner.

Edited by Godin SD

It literally makes the thing feedback, forcing the string to vibrate, looking at what the circuit does, I haven't actually tried this one. I'd assume it works best for a single note. I have an ebow and that runs off an LM386, too.

Ansil, has spent a bit of time answering questions on the forum and it would be worth while looking back and finding that stuff. People have generally been disapointed, I think because they expect more than it can deliver. From my experiments, and if you think about it, your not making an ebow or infinite sustainer.

The piezo, or speaker possibly even more (so because it's magnetic), vibrates the pickup and the wiring within, with it's own signal. This induces feedback in the pickup that will last as long as there is a signal, that is, until the string stops vibrating. It is not working on the string directly but does sound like conventional feedback...very high compression and distortion, and is in itself a unique effect, but not infinite sustain.

I'm prepared to stand corrected, should someone prove me wrong. The thing about it is, that with a loud amp, it could easily induce natural feedback from the amp, where vibrations in the air act upon the strings. This is due to the compression and distortion produced which gives the amp time to react to the strings.

For another way to induce feedback into the guitar, try pushing the head up against the speaker baffle of an amp...the vibrations travel down the neck vibrating the whole instrument (a lot of leverage in a neck) and therefore the strings creating infinite sustain in the manner of sustainiac's model C infinite sustainer.

If anyone can get Ansil's sustainer to create infinite sustain I'd be very surprised, but I'd be making one up immediately for every guitar I own if they did! So far I've had no such luck other than what I described above...let us no how you go!

Good Luck!

psw

ok biohazard, ya thats what I thought, But do you know what value of capacitor it needs to be? And psw, Ya I wasent expecting it to sustain forever, just add a new deminsion to the sound that I can control, So It's exatly what I wanted.

That is once I know what value of capacitor...

Ok, then...so I dug around (put sustainer in the search function from My Assistant) and this is the post I was thinking of:

Ansil's Sustainer question thread

Eventually, I found this link to FAQ's on Ansil's sustainer. I remember now that I had the same problems, I used a 100uf but here is the link:

FAQ on Ansil's Sustainer Mod

I hope this helps and you have fun with it! If everything works out ok, see if you can put up a sound clip :D

psw

Well, yes bio...and yet....

Even Ansil can't get the thing to perform as he originlly thought it did/should!

The sustainer mod was what attracted me to this forum in the first place, and in principle a sustainer is so simple (but not quite like this)...and I do have a tendancy to over complicate things...but...as you'd know from the sustainer thread...nothing's that simple my friend....there's always a little twist...finding that is the key...

I've had several new approaches swim around my brain, some of them pretty simple compared to where we were up to. I will go back through my experiments and follow some of my earlier leads and see where that takes me...a few tweaks might crack it!

If I weren't trying to make things super small to avoid modification, wanted better performance on chords, and didn't require any but the bridge pickup to be used with it (like present systems), then, if you look closely to the earlier threads, the the first driver coil, CP1, is still one of the best performing I've made. To that extent, from the first prototype, I did achieve infinite sustain but not without sacrificing the above.

I've been tempted back to fiddling with it again, every now and then, since the interest is still there and we'll see what develops in the new year!

Once I've done it, what I do with it will be a problem...but we'll get to that later!

psw

Hey psw, dont be dishartened about the fact your sustainer project isnt going to well at the moment. All designers who are doing something new go through the stage of realising the possibility that they may be out of their depth. The key to it all is research research research. Oh, and also a lot of determination. To me, if you have achieved infinate sustain, no matter how big, your a lot of the way there already. Your task is just to compress it all.

I have a little quote for you that should help keep you motivated and realise you can do this, even though you probably have this correct attitude already. It is from the guitar builder who built the custom guitars for Matt Bellamy from Muse, I dont know if you have heared of them, but they did a tour in the states recently, not sure if they have ever been to Austrailia. But anyway, this is what he said about one of his guitars he made, and I think it can apply to most if not all things:

"It’s funny how something that starts out being a good project, goes through this potential disaster stage and comes round to being a massive success."

Thanks Bio for the words of encouragement.

I took out an old coil and proved to myself that I did achieve at least this part of the plan. To prove this, I even started a new first generation coil that will be a practical working model of the type currently on the market...stay tuned...not really disheartened just working on to many things at once. :D

I'll be looking forward to seeing how Ansil's Sustainer shapes up!

psw