Fuzz Factory

Paul Marossy

Anyone here have a Z. Vex Fuzz Factory? If so, what's your favorite setting(s)?

For single note stuff, I think this one is cool:

Vol - 12:00

Gate - 2:00

Comp - 11:00

Drive - 5:00

Stability - 2:00

It's a very interesting circuit. I scratched out a schematic for it out of curiosity because I was very curious about how it works. The other thing that is kind of neat about it is that you can get some really long sustain notes, almost like a "fuzz infinite sustain" until the signal dies off enough for it to stop.

Great noise toy! :D

Z. Vex is a genious...

it is a really cool piece of kit and a very nifty little circuit (yes i have a schem lol but i aint building it)

at some point im planning to drop the cash to get a fuzz factory and a machine as well. pity that its so much of a dent in the budget for Z's stuff, but its worth every penny

Johnny G have you noticed the new Z-Vex vexter series of the Fuzz Factory. They are aluminium casing and cheaper thasn the hand painted stuff.

I have a Fuzz Factory, it is that pedal that I built into my guitar. Can one of you send me the schematic of it, i'd be interested in having a copy. Lol, why wont you build one? Is it due to copywrite reasons or not?

I also have a question that isnt linked to the Fuzz Factory but I didnt want to make a whole new thread. Does anyone have, or know of anywhere that I could get hold of a schematic for the now discontinued Zoom Ultra Fuzz? I've heared that it is a good pedal and can do similar noises to the Fuzz Factory. I'd be very interested in seeing a schematic on it.

Thanks.

I saw some of those vexters on ebay. They look cool. :D

Not sure about the Zoom Ultra-Fuzz schematic. If it's analog, it ought to be fairly easy to build with a schematic in hand. If it's digital, well, it's quite a bit more complicated for the average DIYer. In fact, I wouldn't even attempt it, and I have built a lot of stuff in the last three years. It'd be simpler to buy one off of ebay or something.

hhhmmm, a cheaper fuzz factory you say. ill look into this tho partof thereason for wanting a fuzz factory is the damn cool paint design lol.

as for not building it its partly because i respect since he really knows his shiznit and also my miniscule stock of NOS germanium transistors isnt up to scratch in the slightest.

in truth ive built meself an SHO and used it for a bit but untill ive got my tube amp sorted there aint really much use for me in it. and even then im gonna buy one, the bee is damn cool lol

i had a quick scout for a schem of the ultra fuxx but didnt turn anything up. if you come up with anything id love to know. im looking for a really versatile noise fuzz and am trying to build my own but there are only so many ways to arrange transistors before you have to get really creative.

transistor in paralel with the emiter resistor controlled by the origional signal being sent through a flip flop octave down :D. hellz yeah i need a breadboard

You might be able to get a lot of weird noises on a Fuzz Face type circuit just by adding a variable resistor in series with the positive side of the 9V battery, as long as the circuit uses positive feedback. Similar scenario as the Z. Vex Fuzz Factory.

i always asumed that the resistance inthe battery line that simulates the dieing battery cased funny things because biasing and clipping went funkeh.

and where is the positive feedback in a FF circuit? im fairlly sure the 100k resistor from emitter of Q2 to base of Q1 was negative feedback?

Maybe I shouldnt have said "Fuzz Face type circuit", as the Fuzz Factory isn't based on any old design. In something like the Fuzz Factory, though, it works well. That would be an interesting experiment to try it on a Fuzz Face circuit.

Quoting Paul Perry:

"Some amplifiers will oscillate when there is resistance in the power supply, because of positive feedback. Where does this come from? The first time I saw this, it was a two transistor amplifier, where the current drain through the power supply resistance caused the voltage at the amplifier power input to ripple in sympathy. And, depending on the design of the circuit, this ripple can get to the input stage & if it is the right phase there, cause feedback. Note that the effect can be present without being strong enough to cause oscillation, in which case you wonder why none of the maths work!! Too much gain, input impedance nothing like you expected etc.

And that is why a "flat" battery can make a different sound (as well of course as the voltage being lower)."

All that to say that it may work on a Fuzz Face circuit.

Edited by Paul Marossy

ooohhh ok i get it. its actually fairlly easy to explain.

circuit draws a certain amount of current from battery. when you introduce resistance inbetween the battery and the circuit the current being drawn through the resitance causes a voltage across it. thats all easy.

nowwhat i reckon happens with it is that when the resistance is large enough, the voltage drop across it will be so great that the biasing on the transistors goes funny and there isnt enough voltage at the base to turnthem on. this means they turn off.

now when they're off, they wont be drawing any current. so there wont be a voltage drop across the power supply series resistence. hence there will be enough voltage to turn the transistors back on.

but hang on, when they turn on the whole thing happens all over again, and again, and again.

and so you will get the oscillation.

wow i amaze myself sometimes lol

On the Fuzz Factory stab (stability) control, the simple answer is that the resistor in series with the positive terminal of the 9V battery causes oscillation in the audio range.

BTW, I looked at the waveforms of this circuit on my scope last night. Once again, not quite what I expected on some of the controls. What I did see is that the circuit takes a sine wave and turns it into an asymmetrical square wave. The vol, drive and gate controls all made sense to me. But, the comp control didn't quite do what I expected. I guess I don't know how to interpret compression on a scope, if that is even possible to see on a scope... :D

can you explain exactly how the Fuzz Factory is working at all in detail? I'm really intrigued

If you go to the Z. Vex site (zvex.com), on the Fuzz Factory page, it basically explains what all the controls do. There isn't that much more commentary to add to that...

fuzz factory has 5 controls.

volume and drive are obvious.

stability is simulation of a dieing battery

compression and gate alter biasing levels for the transistors which gives wierd effects. explaining exactlly what they do would require really knowing what ur doing electronics wise

Could controls like that be added to any fuzz circuit if they are put in the right place with the right resistors and capacitors etc.

Possibly. Got breadboard? :D

I think the resistor in series with the positive lead of the battery might work to some extent. Also, a control that messes with the transistor bias is bound to have some kind of affect.

Edited by Paul Marossy