Weekend Prgress

Well, I thought I would post a few pics of some work that I got done over the weekend.

First, I finished sanding my mahogany/maple tele. I took it to a friend who builds guitars and asked him how it looked. He said "better than last time, but keep sanding!!" Well by the end of the day Friday he was satisfied B) .

Here is a link to the front view.

Next I did was mix up my first batches of dye (both black & blue) - taking Drak's advice. I have seen way too many cool blue guitars as of late :D .

Here are a few shots of some scrap wood at various stages

Black/Sand back

First coat of blue

A few more coats of blue

The bottom of the two pices has a few coats of shellac as well. (Yes - the shellac looks bad - I did not do much initial sanding - I was looking for color only)

My plan for this guitar is to put 2-3 coats of shellac on the sides and back. Then I will apply the dye to the top. Finally, I will put multiple coats of shellac over the whole body, hang to dry, sand smooth, add another coat of shellac, and polish.

I also began work on a new Tele. This will be a mahogany body with a redwood top. As you can see I have routed out a good bit of the body as well as a channel for the neck pup.

Red top

Will be an all natural finish.

Bill