Fretless Hybrid Bass

bassman

Here are some photos of the process...

Edit : probably obvious if you pay attention, but the chalk outline on the top wood was put there by the wood provider and has nothing to do with my design- my design is penciled on there but not visible in the photos.

My Webpage

This fretless bass will have a bolt on birdseye maple neck with a cocobolo fretboard. The body will be 2 piece maple with sound chambers, and an amazing 1/4" amboyna burl top. A fishman matrix natural I undersaddle transducer will be the only pickup used- in conjunction with supplied fishman active preamp. It will have one passive tone control and volume. YEs, it is also headless, and the bridge will be contructed out of wood and bone in the style of an acoustic. I will post more pics as they are taken- only as lifes other responsibilities allow.

Peace,

Ryan

Edited by bassman

Ya know what? I think I was looking at that same top for another project! :D Oh well, the guy over at Gallery Hardwoods normally has more than one from the same log. At least I know it's being put to good use! That thing is turning out really cool!

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

Thanks guys... Kyle, I bought that top from Gallery last Jan or Feb.- it is damn sweet. I just made a template for the neck pocket and man is it tight, hopefully it will translate well onto the burled top with no tearout. I am sort of considering routing the pocket into the maple body- attaching the top and then robo sanding the top to match the body core pocket, problem is that I have no drill press. I could certainly do it by hand- but I want it perfect you know!?

Peace,

Ryan

Today I shaped the neck for the most part, after routing the neck pocket into the body, and shaped the bone saddle and nut (although I am thinking of using a zero fret even though it is fretless) There was absolutely no ear out of the burled top when routing the pocket. wew! a weight off my shoulders there. I will post some more pics as soon as I get some contours on the body. After that i only need to route the control cavity, turn a wooden know or two, build the bridge, finish and voila.

bluesp... thanks for the kind words I really impressed myself with the design of this one.

asm... you must believe it- just check woodcraft as often as possible- occasionally you will stumble across a sweet ass piece, and it does cost any more than the rest- as it would if you bid for it on ebay.

I will probably not gett much done on it for the next week or so.