Semi-hollow/through-the-body?

I am looking at doing a semihollow body and I was wondering if anyone has ever made one that the neck is through-the-body?

I seems odd to have to make a center section, make a neck and then either set the neck or bolt it on. Couldn't it all be one thing? I've never seen this, but maybe this isn't such a wild idea.

Anyone know of anybody doing this?

Anyone know of a reason why it would or wouldn't work?

Anyone object to this union, please speak now or forever hold your peas! :D

I am looking at doing a semihollow body and I was wondering if anyone has ever made one that the neck is through-the-body?

I seems odd to have to make a center section, make a neck and then either set the neck or bolt it on. Couldn't it all be one thing? I've never seen this, but maybe this isn't such a wild idea.

Anyone know of anybody doing this?

Anyone know of a reason why it would or wouldn't work?

Anyone object to this union, please speak now or forever hold your peas! :D

sounds like a cool idea...you could make an open frame for the wings, then top them (or the whole surface) with the wood of your choice...

When you mention semi-hollow are you referring to archtop style w/ f-holes etc.? Something you can play unplugged? If that is the case then I don't think you would get the best advantage with a solid piece of wood blocking all sound transmission to the "belly" of the guitar. Otherwise, you are simply looking at a hollowed out or chambered solid body.

Edited by Southpa

Check out Heatley Guitars. He has been doing them like that for a while now and it is actually his preferred method for building semi-hollows. He used to have more pictures of his processes but they aren't there anymore. You have to look through the in progress work to catch glimpses on the inside of his guitars now.

I believe the portion of the neck through that actually touches the top is only beneath the bridge so the top and back are not affected otherwise. He even scalloped the through body section to make even more room inside. From what I have read (and seen) Scott's guitars are very well regarded. They look amazing.

~David