Copper "roof Flashing"

Dugz Ink

I'll admit it: I'm a cheap SOB. I hate to pay a lot for a little. So when I saw the price of the shielding kits (from places like Stew-Mac) I thought "I can do better."

So, when I stopped by Home Depot and found a 50' roll of 8" wide copper flashing material for $14, I decided that I had found a good deal. That will probably be a "lifetime supply" of shielding material for me... plus some... for 28 cents a linear foot.

The copper is a couple thousands of an inch thick, and is backed with tar and paper. The tar and paper is easily removed with a rag and some Mineral Spirits, leaving a beautiful copper surface that takes solder like a dream.

However, the tar and paper also provides excellent electrical insulation. I put one test lead on one side of the copper, and the other on the other side of the paper, set the meter to the 1k ohm test, and could not get the meter to flinch.

So, if you want shielding near bare connections, and you don't want to risk the bare connections brushing against bare shielding, you could mount this flashing material "face down" (with the paper towards the bare connections) and not worry about it.

I don't know how often that's an issue (since I'm still working on my first project guitar) but I thought I would pass that along... just in case it helps somebody.

NOTE: I wouldn't solder to this copper without removing the tar... at least in the general vicinty of the solder point. That would stink, make a mess, and maybe start a small fire!

Of course, if somebody knows of a reason that makes this "flashing" thing a bad idea, please post it in this thread so we can all learn.

D~s