My First Project

Well heres what I'm gonna do, I'm going to make a classic style guitar with nylon strings and all that.

The neck will be a 5-piece laminate like this:

Fl. Birch / Mahogany / Fl. Birch / Mahogany / Fl. Birch

*Fl. Birch is Flamed Birch, duh.

We started woodwork today in school and I asked the teacher if I could give it a try, and he was a cool dude so I got to do it! I wasnt sure about the materials first but it turns out he had a big fat slab of mahogany and flamed birch lying in the materials room. I dont know about the body but I thought about making it Gibson LP/ES style with the single cutaway. I could do the stuff with bending wood and bracings to hold it up, or maybe make it either easier/harder (dont know) for me and do a hollowbody with a nice top.

So what do you think?

Someone? :D

Edited by Slabbefusk

I think that it sound's like alot of work for your first guitar but I hope It works for you, what kind of a finish are you planing to use and what type of hardware are you useing like pickup's,bridge,wiring and all that stuff these are all thing's that you are going to need to know so look around ask for info :D

and have fun!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Last year i built my first guitar in woodshop class in my school. It was an electric tho. The next term a copy cat kid tried to copy me, only he built and acoustic. Boy had no idea what he had gotten himself into and didnt finish it or get anywhere close to it. Just remember to alot urself enough time for everything. I built one last year and realize what it takes so im building two electrics this year. Most of all dont get ur fingers cut off :D:DB) and have fun.

Sound's Cool have you got any pic's yet

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Heres an update:

Ive started making the neck, the two mahogany stripes are about 8 mm thick and I cut them to shape too. I got my hands on a nice slab of birch for the three other pieces in the neck and I will start cutting and shaping of them next week. Hopefully I can glue them all together and get some work done on the body.

What material I will use for the body is undecided yet, what about a Birch/Alder body? I dont know if Birch has any superb tonal qualities but at least its not Pine :D . I'm looking at a few different ways and have yet to decide which I will use.

I had a thought about doing a fretless guitar but the question is if there are flatwound nylon strings to get your hands on somewhere. I can buy frets at my local store so thats not a problem but its still a thought. The bridge and nut is another problem but that will be taken care of.