My Fourth Strat Almost Done

catnine

I built this after the single pickup SRV yellow strat , I made the body some years ago maybe 14 and it has sat . I made it for a left hand treolo and sunburst but the finish did not come out to my lijing so I made another . This time I scraped the finish off , converted it back to a right hand trem and built the neck . All I have left is to fit the nut slots to their final set depth and final sand and apply the yellow finish ( if I can come close to the light yellow ) and add my intials to the area where the two pups are not and play the blues .

43473436-39e7-01800200-.jpg

Look's good it's gota be one of the longest builds I've heard of 14 years WOW :D

hope to see more Pic's soon

and hey welcome to the forum B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

The body is 14 years old kept sitting in a bag waiting for the day I would put it to use , but the rest I just made this last month . Things have certainly changed around town . There were two very well stocked hardwood sources near me and now both are gone . I had to go online and get wood for the neck from stew mac . I made two fret boards also 14 years ago and this was still a prime piece of brazilian rosewood with a nice dark purple hue . So the body and fingerboard are well aged . There were even alot of guitat shops that I could get parts from and many now sell nothing but pickguards and strings straps and other accessories . I had warmoth make the pickguard and bought the rest of the hardware from stew mac except the tremolo that was warmoth as well . I set the slots in the nut today and strung it up and it sounds great . Just a little lower in the nut slots , I set them at .035 over the frets across the nut so maybe another .010 off will do just fine . I like it a bit stiff so you can really dig in and no buzz . I am not looking forward to doing the finish , it does not have to be perfection with a mirror glass gloss , this will not last long anyway . Every guitar I have made has the sign of use on them . I was thinking maybe water base no stink fast dry brush on finish that can be buffed out nicely . Once I used a clear that was not true clear and it turned the white a yellow green tint . I thought I saw something usefull on stew macs site about clear water based finish . All I need is that and some yellow and white to lighten the yellow and I'm happy .

I made the neck almost 1 inch deep at the nut and it is 1 3/4" wide at the nut with a 7.5 mm string spacing and the neck tapers to just over an inch deep at the body . So it would be like what warmoth calls a fatneck of boatneck shape . The single pickup seems to let it ring long and clear without the additional magnetic pull from the other two , a benefit I did not count on .