Neck Or Bridge Pickups

eclipse666

I am redoing my fat strat knock off and the main upgrade is pickups. I can get a sweet deal on single coils but its for the bridge position. So I was thinking what harm would be done if I slapped those mofos into the middle and neck spots?

Not really harm, but the strings vibrate in a wider path the further you get from the bridge (and nut). To compensate, it is standard to have the middle be about 10% stronger than the neck and the bridge 10% stronger than that. So if you have PUs of the same outout in the bridge and the neck, the neck will sound quite a bit louder. You could adjust to some degree by lowering the middle and neck.

Okay thats sweet to know.

And if I get what you are saying if I wanted a cheap solution to get hot pickups I could slap a normal bridge pickup in the neck making it have higher output?

i swapped the neck and bridge pickups in my squire bullet strat around. you might find that your bridge pickups will sound slightly thiner in the neck (because they are generaly designed to be more treble re-enforced, depending on what pu's you get). I found the slightly fatter bottom end of my squires neck pickup makes it sound pretty good in the bridge. that coupled with bringing them right up as high as i can, makes them sound pretty mean for such cheap pickups.