String Tree?

I usually (always) use angled headstocks and I am doing my first guitar that has a non-angled headstock and I am wondering about "string trees" I don't know if that is the right name or not. I need to know why they are need and all that jazz.

Here's a picture link!!!!!

if my descripition is verry bad and you have no clue what I am talking about.

Yea, you might need them for the skinny e string, B, G, and D strings. They are commonly known as string trees or retainers.

Edit: Heres a link for them

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_part..._Retainers.html

or

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_part..._Retainers.html

:D

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

Guitar strings need some downward pressure over the nut to aid string tension, tuning, etc. On some guitars, that pressure is achieved with an angled headstock. On other guitars, such as those with "flat" or "parallel" heads e.g. Fender, that pressure is achieved with string trees. Depending on your design, the tuning machines closest to the nut usually have sufficient pressure, but trees are needed for the remaining strings, usually the "high 4" strings. There are several designs for string trees, so look around on guitar supplier sites and find something that fits your design.

Guitar strings need some downward pressure over the nut to aid string tension, tuning, etc. On some guitars, that pressure is achieved with an angled headstock. On other guitars, such as those with "flat" or "parallel" heads e.g. Fender, that pressure is achieved with string trees. Depending on your design, the tuning machines closest to the nut usually have sufficient pressure, but trees are needed for the remaining strings, usually the "high 4" strings. There are several designs for string trees, so look around on guitar supplier sites and find something that fits your design.

Please read my post before yours :D

AlGeeEater, funny how it works. When I posted, your post wasn't visible. Guess we posted nearly at the same time.

In any case, Eclipse666 asked why they were needed, which is what I tried to answer. You helpfully provided a source for the trees. :D

AlGeeEater, funny how it works. When I posted, your post wasn't visible. Guess we posted nearly at the same time.

In any case, Eclipse666 asked why they were needed, which is what I tried to answer. You helpfully provided a source for the trees. B)

Haha, yes i know. Seems we double teamed the problem.

wow, that was lame :D

I have a straight, Fender style headstock and I don't use string trees.

Instead, I use staggered Sperzel tuners and when I wind the strings I wind them from the top down.

I have no problems with break angle over the nut and no string buzz.

I didn't want a string tree coverin up the nice birdseye figuring.

Works for me :D

Can I put the string trees in a "wrong spot" which would make the intonation out of whack or something?

If it were a piano it can be placed in an area that will enhance sympathetic overtones but in a guitar that isn't an issue so I don't think there's an "exact" measurement for one. It's purpose on a guitar is to hold the strings tighter against the nut.

You could look at some pics of Fender Strats on the net to see approximately where one goes and copy that.

You don't want it right against the nut...the string may bind and not stay in tune as well after a string bend...you don't want it so far away that it doesn't help the break angle over the nut.

Another reason I don't like them is that it's one more area that the string can bind up causing the strings to not stay in tune after a bend or using the tremelo.

I don't use one with staggered tuners and top to bottom stringing as I mentioned before so IMO, if you don't have any issues with open G, B or high E strings buzzing then I wouldn't even worry about installing one (or two).

Can I put the string trees in a "wrong spot" which would make the intonation out of whack or something?

First off, this is what I'm installing on my Bocasters:

Graph Tech String Trees

I like 'em cause they're cheap and slippery. I also usually use Graph Tech nuts and saddles. (No, I don't work for the company!)

As for placement-- if you look at the various Fender guitars over the years, they move the string trees around a lot --that is, closer or farther from the tuners. But they always seem to rest in a straight line between the nut slot and the tuner. Which makes sense. ...

I also used Graph Tech trees and nut on my Tele style guitar. Good stuff.

The headstock on my Tele style is similar to a Tele in that it has 6 in line tuning machines. I placed the string trees roughly halfway between the nut and the farthest tuning machine for the strings that each tree holds. Each tree holds down two strings. That seems to be a good balance between holding the string down on the nut and allowing the string to move as needed to avoid excessive tuning problems. Hope this makes sense.