Burled Hybrid Fretless Bass

Here is the link - by the way I have never been able to post my images onto my posts- what gives?

The first 4 pics are the newest.

My Webpage

It still needs several more coats of poly/oil. I also need to find a lathe so that I can make the knob out of matching amboyna burl. The finger board needs to be oiled as well. Please give me some feedback (positive or critical) on this bass as I am already planning the next one- very similar but with some killer changes if possible so that the face will have an even cleaner look.

Specs...

Fishamn Matrix NAtural 1 transducer with active preamp

Single control- volume

MAple body with sound chambers

Birdseye neck, cocobolo fingerboard,hot rod truss, 2 carbon fiber rods

1/4" Amboyna Burl Top

Bone and Cocobolo bridge- "trimmed down" zero fret

Quilted maple cavity cover

ABM headless hardware- minus the bridge of course

LaBella double ball tapewounds

Sam Maloof's poly/oil finish- some killer stuff I tell yeah

It will have a hidden strap lock system once I actually order the damn things

34" scale- with 30 "invisible frets"- you know what I mean

Edited by bassman

For the knob, you can try a drill press if you have one. You can drill a small hole, then glue in a dowel rod as the shaft. Put that in the drill press and take your dremel with a sanding drum to it. When you're done you just re-drill the center hole. I've only done a couple like that but it works.

An even easier idea (which shows you what an idiot I am that I'm still using my drill press) is to buy a plug cutter for around $25-30 and you can make all the knobs you want. But they need a lot of cleaning up if you're going to use them as knobs. Only the top of a plug is meant to be seen. The cut is a little rough. It's a little harder to center the hole, too. A simple way to center the hole would be to lock everything in place on the drill press. Then (assuming your knob is 1" diameter) drill a hole in some scrap with a 1" bit. Then drop your knob in there and switch to the smaller drill bit. It should be perfectly centered.

That's a great design by the way. I think it's a 100% success! I wish I could play it right now.

The fishman mounts under the saddle- it is extremely responsive to the nuances of fingering techniques. For a sloppy player this setup is not ideal. For a player who can play without producing "garbage" noise (some people think they dont do this until they record in a studio) the sound coming out of this bass is incredible, it has more swell than I have ever heard in a fretless and the harmonic content is very rich. It is has a very playable feel to it with a super smooth, not glossy, neck and board. That being said, it needs some help (in my taste) with EQ. I opted to use no EQ on board for this bass just to keep it clean and simple- beside my ampeg preamp rocks. The treble must be turned way down, the udersaddle transducer detects fingers sliding on even tapewound strings- but if you turn the treble way down it is remedied, and it still will have the woody treble associated with upright bass. I also like to bump up the lowend on my preamp.

erik, thanks for the suggestions- I had considered doing that... we shall see.

erik, thanks for the suggestions

Gotta give props to Frank for the knob pointers...

The treble stuff you describe with the piezo is exactly what happened on my Ovation acoustic when I switched from a plastic saddle to bone. The brightness went way up; the acoustic sound was improved, but plugged in the attack from the pick is just too harsh.

As soon as I can make one, I'm going to replace the bone saddle with ebony; if that's still too bright, I'll try cocobolo. You might try that as well.

Skibum,

I let the headless hardware deal with the spacing, the zero fret is only there to set the string height. The zero fret has been greatly reduced in height to bring it down to the appropriate action for a fretless.

Erik,

I may change the saddle material, at this point I am really considering the additon of a single stacked (quiet) jazz pickup near the neck. I would have to back up a bit to do this but I really wish I could pull some more low end out of this baby- I played in a reggae band for 5 years and I think the craving for very deep low end will always stick with me. The high end doesnt bother me- I can easily tame it with my preamp section. Taking away from certain freqs with an eq doesnt really bother me, what bothers me is really having to boost the freqs to much.