Help! Two Questions...

I have a friend that works very well on wood (he's professional). I gave him an idea to make a guitar and he did (it's a stell acustic guitar).

The box, arm (and reinforcement), type of wood, etc seems very very good, but...

Trying to tune his guitar i realise that he didn't got the distances right. (He says the guitar is tuned great, but i know it isn't, unless you play loose strings) I was wondering what is the mathematical formula for the 12 temperated tunes? I know i must have that somewhere but if you could help me with the distances it would be very much appreciated.

Also, i know that to get ressonancy each builder puts inside the box various strips in each one personal style. Some open more holes in the box, etc..

I was wondering if someone could help me with those too...

Also is there a "good" minimal height for the distance between the string and the arm (so it won't hit against the arm and make silly noise)?

thank you,

David

Edited by agentsvr

Hi Agentsvr,

I can help with one question, namely the distance question. It is actually quite simple. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret. It should be the same distance from the 12th fret to the bridge.

I did not understand the rest of your post to reply to it.

Guitar Ed

The fret spacing can be multiplied out using the 12th root of 2.

Make an excel spreadsheet and populate it like this... it should take all of 5 minutes.

nut to bridge = x

(2) ^ (1/12) = e

x

x / e (nut to 1st fret)

x/e /e (nut to 2nd fret)

x/e/e / e (nut to 3rd fret)

etc... until you reach 21, 22, 23, 24, or more frets. Go wild here.

I assume by "play loose strings" you mean tuning the guitar down. If it plays in tune like that but not in standard tuning, the problem is not in with the placement of the frets, it's the placement of the bridge saddle.

I think by strips inside the body you mean the braces. Those are there not so much for resonance but for structure. They need reinforcement because an acoustic guitar body is basically a wooden box made of 1/8" (3 mm) wood that you then apply 150 lb. or more of string tension to. Any luthier can tell you a lot of the challenge in making acoustics is making them so that they don't fall apart under all that tension, but still vibrate freely. And the braces aren't really done that much in an individual style. The patterns used are fairly standard.

By height from the arm I assume you mean string height from the neck. It's usually measured from the top of the 12th fret - this is the half way point, so if you wanted to lower it by 1/64" you'd lower the bridge by 1/32". By "silly noise" I assume you mean buzzing strings.

There's not really a standard for this I know of. How low you can get it depends on how straight you can get the neck, how flat the fingerboard (the tops of the frets have to be parallel), and whether you have any high or low frets. As a generalization, 1/16" at the 1st (treble e) string or less would be low action, 3/32" or more would be high action. The 6th string should usually be 1/32" higher than the 1st or your tone won't be balanced from string to string.

Your playing style affects this a lot too. A fingerstyle player can use much lower action than someone who plays hard with a heavy pick.

OK that's enough of a rant - sorry for the non-metric units - Canada is supposed to be metric but I find inches a lot more useful here.