Hollowbodies & Electronics

HI There,

I had a rather stupid question, but one I would appreciate an answer to. I've been toying with building a hollow body guitar. Because of that thought, I've been looking at all sorts of guitars to get ideas from. The main thing that struck me in this process was,....since there is no electronics cavity on the back of the guitar, I assume that the pots and jack etc. are inserted through an already cut hole in the body after the guitar is painted.....Since the F-holes (like say on a 335 dot) are smaller than the back end of the pots I couldn't figure out how they got the little buggers in there. The only choice that seems reasonable is to put them in though the pickup cavities (if they have though holes into the body chamber). Is that right? If so, I'm guessing you have to prewire everything, shove it through the hole and then use your 10" long x 1/4" wide finger extensions (flexible of course) to route the knobs into the proper holes. Sounds insane....please tell me, how is this really done?

HI There,

I had a rather stupid question, but one I would appreciate an answer to.  I've been toying with building a hollow body guitar. 

Ah, I didn't see that you weren't going to make your own....well, why not make it easy on yourself and build a panel into the back? no fussing...

Or ask HiTone (you know, the guy who built that AMAZING Fat Boy) how he did it.

The pots on guitars such as the 335 are put in, and out via the wire routing hole from the trebel pickup, it's a very tight fit, and bloomin fiddly to get in and out.

To get them in, it's best to use the aformentioned string idea. When taking them out, you need to gently manouvere the pickups to, and as far into the hole as you can by pulling gently on the wire, and when you can actually get to them, pull them through the hole with some long needle nose pliers, or something similar.

Edited by S.Dodding